Antivirus program not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there....yesterday my laptop started giving alerts stating my computer was at risk of hackers and malice spyware. Long story short, after frenzy mode, I contacted Webroot and after quite a few tries, they were able to get into my computer and do a scan. They came back telling me that my registry cleaner had 57,000 errors on it and that it had to be cleaned immediately, as well as troubleshooted for spyware and antivirus problems as their program was not working, even though every scan I did said all was ok. She stated that scss.exe was a terrible malice spyware that was making my cpu work at 100%. She also stated Citrix was malice adware, which I knoe for a fact it is not. I did not give them 299.99 to clean it up. I instead trobleshooted a few things. I now have my cpu running at a low 0-4% and up as high as 70% for a moment or two. In order for her to be able to take control of the computer, we had to go as far as doing a system restore after many failed attempts were made. Internet explorer as well as folders and files were not accessible for awhile. How serious is all of this and do I have a good choice with Webroot? 
    • Moved by Just Karl Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:29 PM lo
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This should have been asked in the Virus and Malware forum on Microsoft Community.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Saturday, August 2, 2014 1:16 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:27 PM

All replies

• Since you have not provided specific details as yet, such as the edition of Windows, the specific alerts and where they stemmed from, the installed security software, etc., strongly suggest that you create a bootable rescue CD to clean the system with -

Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
    How to create a BitDefender Rescue CD

MowGreen
    Windows Expert IT Pro - Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
    NEVER FORGOTTEN

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Hello,

This should have been asked in the Virus and Malware forum on Microsoft Community.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Saturday, August 2, 2014 1:16 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:27 PM