Compression and Reverb RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Dan, I have imported the instrument wav files of Songsmith into the FL Studio DAW and I want to compress the files and put reverb to them, but I was not sure if the files are aready compressed and have reverb. Thanks a lot. 

Ermias

Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:24 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your interest in Songsmith.  The instruments have had reverb applied, but not compression.  If you want to turn the reverb off (which I would if I were going to export the individual tracks so I could apply my own effects), there's a secret way to do that...

In the Songsmith directory, which by default is "c:\Program Files\Songsmith" or "c:\Program Files (x86)\Songsmith", there's a file called "mysongconfig.txt" (you can also just use the Windows search feature to find that file).  You can open that file up in notepad, and look for the line that looks like this:

REVERB_LEVELS 0.8,0.5,0.8,0.8,0.8

Deleting that line, or setting all 5 values to zero, will turn reverb off.

Hope that helps!

-Dan from the Songsmith team

Friday, October 23, 2015 7:58 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Thanks for your interest in Songsmith.  The instruments have had reverb applied, but not compression.  If you want to turn the reverb off (which I would if I were going to export the individual tracks so I could apply my own effects), there's a secret way to do that...

In the Songsmith directory, which by default is "c:\Program Files\Songsmith" or "c:\Program Files (x86)\Songsmith", there's a file called "mysongconfig.txt" (you can also just use the Windows search feature to find that file).  You can open that file up in notepad, and look for the line that looks like this:

REVERB_LEVELS 0.8,0.5,0.8,0.8,0.8

Deleting that line, or setting all 5 values to zero, will turn reverb off.

Hope that helps!

-Dan from the Songsmith team

Friday, October 23, 2015 7:58 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks a lot Dan. I was wary of over compressing and over reverbing an already compressed and reverebed sample. Since the FL Studio reverb is not that good, I will retain the Songsmith reverb, but I will compress some instruments a little bit using the FL Studio compressor. Thanks for the crucial information. 

Ermias

Saturday, October 24, 2015 12:03 AM