This whole hard drive format thing... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All!

Basically I current have Xp running with two 300gb hard drives full of data

I cant obviously install WHS onto these hard drives without losing the data (as they are too big to back up anywhere...)

I also have an 80gb hard drive in there that i'm happy to format SOOOO if I were to install on teh 80gb is there anyway I can introduce these HDD into the system without losing my data? I kind of understand why not if I cant - something to do with WHS just having one HUGE hard driver rather than  3 smaller ones :S.

Cheers

Adam
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:07 AM

All replies

• Sorry for beign n00bish :P

for anyone else look here (under software!)

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1298357&SiteID=50

Adam     
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:16 AM
  • On my pc I have 2 SATA drives on which I dual boot MCE2005 & Vista. I also have a 200gig PATA drive on which I installed WHS.

Obviously I did not want this setup wiped off the face of the earth!

At Setup, I did not install SATA drivers and the two SATA drives remained invisible and therefore were not be formated, leaving the WHS to install on the PATA.

Trouble free living

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:34 AM
  • Yeaaa,

Well in simple terms here is how I played it...

- Took out all the hdd's bar my 80gb one

Installed on it (set it as master e.t.c.)

once installed and all running set it back to slave and then all dandy from there.

I didn't realise WHS would still see my other HDD's.

So all dandy as i said

Someone might want to put it in bold that WHS can still see and use your hard drives and access them it just cant incorporate them without a format.

Best wishes,

Adam
    Friday, March 16, 2007 6:14 PM
  • still about file storage... not only harddrive related but,

does anyone know if we will have the ability at some point to "dump" files from the Hard Drives by backing them up to a DVD ? I mean, it only makes sense, once we must install it from a DVD media on a DVD drive, this unit could easily become the "Dumping" escape valve for either unwanted things or when you are running out of space and know of certain files you don't need 24x7 availability.. and nowadays with Double Layer DVD's you can easily move out of the way lots of things in 9.4Gig multiples

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:30 PM
  • I'm sure that, as beta testers with a DVD drive to hand we can do just that. But I don't think that is the intention with OEM headless solutions. They are intended to be the entire solution. With data duplication across the drives, provided every single drive is not toast your data should be recoverable, even if you have to pull them out the drives and drop them into a standard Windows box.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 10:30 PM
  • I don't know....

I'm not going to trust my wife's family photo collection to WHS's disk system until I hear A LOT more about the particulars of their system.  I do not want to be party to the Chernobyl incident that loosing those pictures would cause.  I don't see how folder/partition/drive mirroring is going to be efficient.  I'm running my hardware raid 5 system under WHS, just have not committed its disks to the collective.  I supposed I could see making the raid 5 portion smaller, to just cover the really important stuff, but I still suspect that the edge for efficency of space will go to RAID 5.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:32 AM