Media Center Connector with Vail? RRS feed

• Question

• WHS1 SP3 has a function called Media Center Connector which installs a service to automatically archive recorded programs to the WHS and to provide elementary info about the WHS from the Media Center 10 foot interface.

Will this functionality be available in WHS 2011?

Thanks anyone.

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:54 PM

All replies

• I have the same question. I just installed WHS2011RC and installed the Connector software on a wired 64bit Vista Ultimate Sp2 and a wireless 32bit Vista Ultimate Sp2. Neither show the Media Center Connector  in the Start Menu.

I was however able to Archive recorded Tv to the WHS shared folder for recorded TV. After the archive is complete you can no longer see the program listed in the recorded tv on Media Center. You can however go to the share folder and play the recording.

High definition TV streaming to two computers over wired and wireless(g) simultaneous with very little effort. This thing is SWEET!!!!!

And just think, I installed this server for a completely different reason. LOL

Kudos to everyone involved with this effort. This product was very painless to implement. Can't wait for retail copy. How much is that pricetag? Does anyone know yet?

Old Guy
    Monday, March 7, 2011 7:36 PM
  • How did you archive the recorded to to the WHS? Manually? I really want automatic like is available in WHS 1 SP3. Anyone know if Media Center Connector is going to me made available in WHS2011?

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:17 PM
  • I went into Media Center and archived each show individually. Of course if I knew of an automatic way to set that up, I would experiment with it. But there really isn't any documentation about this anywhere that I have found.

On the other question that we both asked, I'm surprised there hasn't been an answer. The only posts on here that seems to get much action are the ones where people are arguing about features that they want that aren't there.  Hopefully someone with the answer will take the time to reply to this thread.

Old Guy
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:38 PM
  • There is an option(just noticed it) in media center to archive all recordings automatically. So maybe they did away with the Media Center Connector in Vail?

Old Guy
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:52 AM
  • I didn't use a MCenter Connector I just went into WMC and there is a section called "Home Server" click on that and it is "TV Archive". From there you can get everything going automatically.

--
    Don

How did you archive the recorded to to the WHS? Manually? I really want automatic like is available in WHS 1 SP3. Anyone know if Media Center Connector is going to me made available in WHS2011?

Thanks!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:58 AM
  • Yes I know that but the issue is that supposedly with the media center connector it allows you to archive recorded tv from your pc to the server and still see the recordings listed on your pc under recorded tv.

When you archive them now(without media center connector) you can't see the recorded tv in your media center "recorded Tv". So the only way to play them at that point is from selecting the file from the shared directory listing or opening an explorer window and clicking on it.

It seems like you should be able to stay in your own media center and play the recording from the server. Or at least I thought it used to work that way under WHS3.

Old Guy
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:09 AM
  • "When you archive them now(without media center connector) you can't see the recorded tv in your media center "recorded Tv".

I can, did the archive for a couple of weeks and then stopped the service. I can still open up Media Center and see the archived shows on the server that were moved there. Could it be that something changed on Windows Media Center shared folders that isn't seeing these shows?

--
    Don
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:57 AM
  • It seems that the Windows Server Media Center Archive service is a little touchy about how and when it runs. There are two other services that have to be running for it to start (receiver and scheduler) and the server has to be up when you start your clients or it doesn't get started properly until you reboot all the clients. It doesn't just start up after the server comes online and it doesn't seem to work properly when you manually start those processes after the server is up. Those 3 services are client services by the way.

The only thing that made it all happy was to restart the clients.

Although I like the server product, the documentation available is really poor or non existent. I really shouldn't have had to spend days of trial and error and searching on the internet to get answers that are really suspect when they come from other information starved users like myself.

I can understand that documentation is still being developed for the retail release, but to some extent we need it to do an accurate evaluation of the RC.

So in the absence of documentation, I would have thought that some gurus from MS would at least be reviewing questions on this forum and giving answers about something more than the frigging drive extender. That is the only topic on here that ever gets answers and what seems like immediate attention.

It wouldn't have been that hard for someone in the know to say "Oh yea we eliminated the media center connector in Vail" if that is really what they did.

Old Guy
    Friday, March 11, 2011 1:34 PM
  • I hear your frustration on the documentation, I had to do a lot of testing to be able to get certain things done, one of which was the "archive" function.

--
    Don
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:54 AM