Individual user settings for remote access to shared folders and computers. RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to set up a user's remote access so that they can access the shared folders but not remotely log in to PC's? At the same time I would require that one user should be able to do both.

Example:

User1 - allowed to access shared folders and computers

User2 - allowed to access shared folders only.

This would allow me to let the kids access their files without them interfering with each others computers, and I would still be able to access all areas.

Friday, March 23, 2007 2:08 PM

Answers

• I do not believe that is possible at the moment.  You can fill out a suggestion on connect and request that feature.

Friday, March 23, 2007 2:40 PM
  • When you connect to WHS using remote access and then access a computer on your home net, you have to supply a user name and password for that computer.  That should allow you to control who can access each computer.
    Friday, March 23, 2007 3:06 PM
  • You will find such a suggestion here on Connect, for the computers tab, and here for the folders.

In the meantime, I'll point out that even if a user selects a computer for RD access, they still need the user name and password of an account on that computer that's allowed to log in remotely. A simple workaround is to make sure that the user doesn't have such an account available.
    Friday, March 23, 2007 11:47 PM

All replies

• I do not believe that is possible at the moment.  You can fill out a suggestion on connect and request that feature.

Friday, March 23, 2007 2:40 PM
  • When you connect to WHS using remote access and then access a computer on your home net, you have to supply a user name and password for that computer.  That should allow you to control who can access each computer.
    Friday, March 23, 2007 3:06 PM
  • This is a great idea. 

If I give a friend access to my shared folders that is all I want them to see.  They should not be able to see the other tabs. 

Friday, March 23, 2007 7:46 PM
  • Make sure to post your link here so others can vote on your suggestion!
    Friday, March 23, 2007 9:55 PM
  • You will find such a suggestion here on Connect, for the computers tab, and here for the folders.

In the meantime, I'll point out that even if a user selects a computer for RD access, they still need the user name and password of an account on that computer that's allowed to log in remotely. A simple workaround is to make sure that the user doesn't have such an account available.
    Friday, March 23, 2007 11:47 PM