How to update MapPoint when the USPS releases new Zip Codes. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing a trial of MapPoint 2011 and I need to know how the zip codes within this application get updated as the USPS releases and removes zip codes monthly. If MapPoint doesn't offer a way to import or update new zip codes and the geocoding for the new zip codes then this software becomes outdated the day you buy it. I want to use this for our territory alignment of our sales team.  I called Microsoft and spoke with the pre-sales dept and they told me the zip code updates get loaded when you do a update through the Microsoft Update site. Problem is I checked in the update catalog and I didn't see any updates for MapPoint....ever. So I don't see how that is true.

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:23 PM

All replies

• That is true of all mapping packages - even online ones are "out of date".

The map data takes up the bulk of the DVD that MapPoint ships on - that is nearly 1GB - too much to make available online. If there were online updates then they would cost quite a bit - almost as much as buying a new DVD (there's a lot more data that could be updated on a monthly basis - eg. street data and new census data).

The MapPoint/S&T Team's solution to this problem is to have annual releases of MapPoint. It is a compromise between the high cost of updates (as well as licensing the data and providing the infrastructure to deliver it, you have to pay for person(s) to prepare it) and the desirability of regular updates. Looking at reseller sales of MapPoint, a surprisingly large number of people still prefer to wait a few years between upgrades. In other words, even annual data updates are not worth it for the majority of MapPoint users.

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com
    • Proposed as answer by Marvin Hlavac Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:50 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:42 PM
  • They don't update because of the huge cost associated with a many mappoint computer user environment.

This is just bollocks that MapPoint doesn't provide regional self-download / install files.

We have had the worst problems getting Addresses to map in mappoint even with the latest mappoint 2013. While other geocoding software had very little problems.

Ditch Mappoint.  Use Google Earth pro.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:08 PM