Trying to force me to install Windows Genuine Advantage Notification... ? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my computer from Dell about two months ago.  It DEFINITELY has a valid copy of XP, which came installed on it.  Brand new PC, no one has owned it before, and I have all of the paperwork. 

Today my power went off, and when I rebooted the computer tried to install this on my computer.  I did not allow it to install because I did not "pirate" my copy of windows, and I don't need Microsoft to try and validate this.  Stick out tongue

In fact, I have a copy of Vista that I recieved from Dell recently to update my system, but I'm worried that if I try to install, it won't let me because of this silly error?  (I'm not going to try until after Vista has been out a little longer, however.)

Any  help on this?  I don't want the usual answers of this not being a validated copy or that someone else must have worked on my computer because that is not the case.  No one has touched this computer except myself.

Thanks.

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:30 PM

Answers

• Anonymous #1,234,577,

XP can be installed, activated, and used without the installation of WGA Validations or WGA Notifications.  If you do not want WGA on your computer, continue to refuse it when Windows Updates offers it to you.

The Vista End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) includes the use of WGA, so WGA cannot be avoided if you install Vista and agree to the EULA.

Friday, April 13, 2007 8:50 PM