Performance in a very large deployment RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I am in the design phase of a 15k to 30k user system that will include wifi, cell, and hard media transfer of data from a Windows Mobile 6 device to a centralized server.  Many of the capabilities mentioned in the glossy brochures handle my needs, but I still have some reservation about CTP release and WM compatibility and mostly performance.

I expect to have about 15k users synchronizing 20MB of data per day each spread across 70 tables.  This is a large company application so extremely high-end server hardware is not an impediment.  I expect that the server will need to be a cluster of several machines to handle the user load, does the Sync Services for ADO.Net support scaling to clusters?

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 5:47 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all, I would love to hear more about your implementation, so if you are willing, please send an email to me.  My email is FirstName.LastName @ microsoft.com.  Based on a deployment of this size and your specific needs, I might be able to help provide some additional scaling tips.

Secondly, as I think you saw we are just finalizing a CTP build of Windows Mobile / Sync Services for ADO.Net which will support the N-Tier scenario.  I hope the timing will match your current needs.

As to your question, you can certainly use Sync Services for ADO.Net in highly available SAN or Mirrored type enviroments.  As you might imagine, the key thing to keep in mind in a high available type enviroment is that you need to make sure that there is pretty close to near real time updates to the databases so that you don't get an event where a user sync's to one database server, that database server goes down without updating information from the user, he re-syncs and the data expected is no longer there.

Liam Cavanagh

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, I would love to hear more about your implementation, so if you are willing, please send an email to me.  My email is FirstName.LastName @ microsoft.com.  Based on a deployment of this size and your specific needs, I might be able to help provide some additional scaling tips.

Secondly, as I think you saw we are just finalizing a CTP build of Windows Mobile / Sync Services for ADO.Net which will support the N-Tier scenario.  I hope the timing will match your current needs.

As to your question, you can certainly use Sync Services for ADO.Net in highly available SAN or Mirrored type enviroments.  As you might imagine, the key thing to keep in mind in a high available type enviroment is that you need to make sure that there is pretty close to near real time updates to the databases so that you don't get an event where a user sync's to one database server, that database server goes down without updating information from the user, he re-syncs and the data expected is no longer there.

Liam Cavanagh

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:57 PM
  • Hi

Can I ask you please to tell us how did you go with this scenario and how was the performance as data transfer speed?

Because I have a similar situation and I'm facing some problems regarding the speed while downloading and uploading a large amount of data.

Thanks,

SIX

Monday, September 1, 2008 11:29 PM
  •  

SIX,

I would love to tell you the answer to your question, but the "powers that be" in my company drastically altered my app requirements.  These changed requirements preclude any option of using "off-the-shelf" sync components so we haven't gotten a chance to experiment with this product yet.

Sorry for having such a crappy answer.

- Dan

Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:09 AM
  • the performance depends on the particular scenario you have. the Sync services essentialy uses the dataset in the middle to transfer data changes from client to server ( and vise versa ). so you can roughly consider the data transfer time would be getChanges, transfer changes and applyChanges plus some overhead for metadata managements.

there is a perf bug as we fixed in the Device RTM with Sql Compact 35 SP1 release, especially with wider tables ( more columns ). as Liam mentioned, if you can provide more info of you case, it would give us better idea what could be the issue.

thanks

Yunwen

Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:22 AM
  •  

Hi Yunwen

Can I send you some more info of my case by email, if you don't mind?

Thanks

Friday, September 5, 2008 12:43 AM
  • of course not, my email address is firstname.lastname @ microsoft.com.

thanks

Yunwen

Friday, September 5, 2008 7:15 AM
  •  

Hi Yunwen

Thanks for that.

I already sent u an  email.

Just a quick question to see if I'm using the right tools: 

Using VS 2008 SP1, SqlCE 3.5 sp1 and Microsoft Sync Framework v1.0 RTM1 , downloaded from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C88BA2D1-CEF3-4149-B301-9B056E7FB1E6&displaylang=en

To sync the CE db with a Sql Server 2005 db.

I had the same result as using sql CE 3.5, VS2008 and he older Sync Services.

(from a performance point , specifically speed) .

Thanks,

SIX

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:19 AM