WHS Blue Screen On Startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys

I have been having a problem, I have WHS installed on my Server board it was working well but once the there was some poower issues and PC shut down now every time I start it it shows blue screen just before starting the windows

"Windoows is Starting" message comes and blue screen. 

Any idea what could be the problem?

Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:41 AM

All replies

• WHS v1 or WHS2011 ?

v1 based on Server 2003 and need additional drivers if you use SATA-disks

Saturday, December 3, 2011 11:57 AM
  • ... but once the there was some poower issues and PC shut down ...

Hardware failure as a result of power surges, most likely. The STOP code on the blue screen may point toward what particular component has failed.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Its WHS v1 not 2011 its on PowerPack 3

So what do I do?

Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:32 PM
  • If you have SATA-disk: try to set them to ATA/IDE-Mode in BIOS ... or load proper SATA-driver for your mainboard during installation (F6 ... but then you need the drivers on a floppy)
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Its WHS v1 not 2011 its on PowerPack 3

So what do I do?

I would try downloading one of the Lixux "Live" distributions to see if you can identify if you actually have a hardware failure. Try the suggestion from Ken (above) first.

If you can't identify a hardware failure, you may need to do a Server reinstallation - look at the FAQ section of this forum regarding how to do that and the potential for loosing data.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:03 PM
  • I don't mind losing data but would I have to purchase another WHS as currently I do have all the CDs that came with it but WHS wasn't connected to any other PC to store its DRIVER RESTOREs
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 11:01 PM
  • If you have SATA-disk: try to set them to ATA/IDE-Mode in BIOS ... or load proper SATA-driver for your mainboard during installation (F6 ... but then you need the drivers on a floppy)

I had a similar issue when my bios was reset.  I built the server set to AHCI and when the bios reset to IDE the server BSOD at startup.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:52 AM