Team Foundation Server on Windows Home Server machine? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I don't know if this is the right category, but I was wondering if we'll be able to install TFS on a Windows Home Server Machine without any problem.

I mean, I'd really like to have a centralized home server with the "plus" of a tfs machine. Will it be possible? (actually, I don't have WHS in my hands, so I can't try by my self).

Thank you

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:45 AM

Answers

• Is it possible? Probably, but I haven't seen any reports of someone doing so. Without any problem? No. WHS isn't designed to be used in a business or development environment that way. It can't be joined to an AD domain, it requires complete control of the hardware allocated for it's use, and it has hooks all through the file system to support it's use as a home server. To install TFS on WHS you'll have to figure out all the issues that causes yourself, most likely.

For a TFS server, you'd be better off with Windows Server 2003 Standard, IMO.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:41 PM

All replies

• Is it possible? Probably, but I haven't seen any reports of someone doing so. Without any problem? No. WHS isn't designed to be used in a business or development environment that way. It can't be joined to an AD domain, it requires complete control of the hardware allocated for it's use, and it has hooks all through the file system to support it's use as a home server. To install TFS on WHS you'll have to figure out all the issues that causes yourself, most likely.

For a TFS server, you'd be better off with Windows Server 2003 Standard, IMO.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:41 PM
  • If you're just looking for simple source control, SourceSafe would totally work since it just needs access to a file share.

Jeff
    Friday, October 12, 2007 6:45 PM
  •  JeffreyKey wrote:
    If you're just looking for simple source control, SourceSafe would totally work since it just needs access to a file share.

Jeff

I would recommend Visual SourceSafe over Team Foundation Server for Windows Home Server. Primarily as I seem to remember an Active Directory "requirement" (either implied or explicit) in TFS.

That being said I tried VSS on the WHS beta & was having problems with the VSS database becoming corrupted (I got the impression it would try to go to the physical location of the share instead of the logical location of the share). NOTE: I tried installing VSS itself on the server & enabled server components.

Now that I have RTM version of VSS I have not tried it again; however it is on my list of things to try.

If you try it I would recommend 2 things:

- Report back here any problems or successes you have

- Be certain to have a complete backup of your VSS database before you start...

Jay

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:46 PM
  • I currently have VSS 2005 installed on a Share of my WHS. I am still running the beta version of WHS.

I too don't recommend running TFS from a WHS because of all the overhead created with it.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:19 AM
  • There is a Workgroup Edition of TFS. I am not sure that there is an Active Directory requirement for this edition of TFS. I have not tried to install it on my WHS yet - but imagine that there might be some difficulty or conflicts when installing SQL Server, SharePoint and TFS on the WHS as the TFS 2005 installation is particularly detailed and requires very specific steps to be followed.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:38 PM
  • The new TFS 2010 can be run on a WHS.  The Basic configuration works best and is easiest to install.

Here's some more info on TFS 2010 Beta 2:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/jneave/archive/2009/10/30/installing-tfs-2010-beta2-on-windows-home-server.aspx

Here's someone that installed TFS 2008 (with caveats):
    http://meobrien.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!669A668689181745!195.entry

- Steve
    Development Process Consultant | Notion Solutions | http://sstjean.blogspot.com | MVP - Team System
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:21 PM
  • I installed TFS 2010 on an "off the shelf" Acer Brand Windows Home Server.  It works fine, if you haven't made any other customizations to WHS, it will install and work fine in the Basic Configuration.  If you are like me and used SourceSafe to recover when a file was corrupted or to move a project between PCs and are not trying to keep versions "for ever", I think you will be quite pleased.  I was not able to migrate SourceSafe to TFS, but I didn't try very hard, when it didn't work the first time I just moved on.  I can't say that TFS is any "better" than SourceSafe, but then my needs are very modest, made the change because SourceSafe is being phased out.  Only used the WHS machine because I had it. :-)
    Friday, April 16, 2010 1:51 AM