Corrupt SLSVC.EXE on Windows Server 2008 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• After about a year of flawless functioning my 2008 Server displays "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" message while SLSVC halts with the following error:

C:\Windows\System32>net start slsvc
    The Software Licensing service is starting.
    The Software Licensing service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 1067 has occurred.

The process terminated unexpectedly.

Upon the attempt to start slsvc System Log shows a dozen repeating: 

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\DR0.

The actual file slsvc.exe cannot be replaced or copied due to "I\O Error".

Disk scanning utils show disk is healthy. This is Patriot 128GB SSD

The server is located at remote server farm, I don't have immediate physical access to it

Please Help

Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:06 AM

Answers

• Hello KotikD,

If possible, remote into the server and download the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012.  Run the tool, click the Continue button and once it is done, click the Copy button and paste the Diagnostic Report into a reply post in this thread.

The Diagnostic Report is plain text, so there shouldn't be a problem copying over remote access. 

Just to set your expectations, I primarily support consumer products. Any Server support will have to be as 'Best Effort' on my part. However, my understanding is that the WGA code in Server 2008 is similar enough to Vista that I should get good information from the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:49 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hello KotikD,

If possible, remote into the server and download the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012.  Run the tool, click the Continue button and once it is done, click the Copy button and paste the Diagnostic Report into a reply post in this thread.

The Diagnostic Report is plain text, so there shouldn't be a problem copying over remote access. 

Just to set your expectations, I primarily support consumer products. Any Server support will have to be as 'Best Effort' on my part. However, my understanding is that the WGA code in Server 2008 is similar enough to Vista that I should get good information from the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:49 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:16 PM
  • No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:50 PM