WinSSUI.exe Appliction Error RRS feed

• Question

• When I click on the Live One Care button I receive the following error message:

WinSSUI.exe application error.  THe Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process ID=0xa68 (2664), Thread ID=0xa8c (2700).

Click on OK to terminate the application.
    Click Cancel to debug the application.

Back ground Info.

Window one care was working perfectly until a virus penetrated it, which resulted to my computer acting funny...(slow, pop up popping, different website  opening with it been requested.etc.)

i had an update from Microsoft but i am unsure what it was, the update was successful but then after restarting my computer, the computer failed to reboot.  i did all the necessary tasks (safe mode etc) in trying to rectify the problem but at the end i had to use my HP PC recovery software. Due to fact that i had some important files on my hard drive i opted just to reinstall the operating system instead if reformatting then reinstalling.

Every thing went smoothly but after the reinstallation of the operating system, only certain files and folders would not be accessed or found. The error message that is given is 

"problem with shortcut : this action is only valid for products that are current installed".

Anyway, i really need to INSTALL windows one care again so i can reinstall my back-ups created months back. 

Help need! what can i do?

If all fails:
    is there any way of reinstalling the back-ups created by window one care without installing one care? 

Please help

Saturday, March 21, 2009 10:43 AM

Answers

• You can restore your backups without installing One Care but it would be much easier if you install One Care. See this post to resolve the winssui error - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/71895841-1137-4e2e-a872-b10c0db9038b/
    Since your operating system was damaged by malware it would be a better choice to format your drive then do a clean install of Windows. You can copy any data you need and is not backed up to an external drive, flash drive or CD/DVD for later recovery. I would rebuild the system in this order:
    Copy any needed data files to removable media.
    Format the drive.
    Install Windows ( original OEM installation ).
    Uninstall the crapware ( free trials, applications you know you won't use ) and especially any antivirus trialware if present.
    Go to Windows Update and install all critical updates and service packs.
    Install your aplications.
    Install One Care.
    Restore your One Care backups.
    Jim
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:37 PM

All replies

• You can restore your backups without installing One Care but it would be much easier if you install One Care. See this post to resolve the winssui error - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/71895841-1137-4e2e-a872-b10c0db9038b/
    Since your operating system was damaged by malware it would be a better choice to format your drive then do a clean install of Windows. You can copy any data you need and is not backed up to an external drive, flash drive or CD/DVD for later recovery. I would rebuild the system in this order:
    Copy any needed data files to removable media.
    Format the drive.
    Install Windows ( original OEM installation ).
    Uninstall the crapware ( free trials, applications you know you won't use ) and especially any antivirus trialware if present.
    Go to Windows Update and install all critical updates and service packs.
    Install your aplications.
    Install One Care.
    Restore your One Care backups.
    Jim
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick responds and advice, i think what you suggested is my best option as i am still having issues with accessing certain files and folders.

Correct me if am wrong: is this problem " not being able to access certain file and folder" be related to the changes of the registry files.(reinstalling Operating system)?

Any way  i am current backing up my data's then i will reformat.

Once again thanks!
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 1:30 AM
  • Most likely the reason you can't access certain files and folders is you repaired Vista and you no longer have owner permissions on the files you can't access. This is easy enough to correct but you were having some issues already with the repair installation and formatting ensures there will be no left over malware. Good luck with the clean install.
    Jim
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 4:54 AM