locked
Email moved to Private Queue when Contact is modified RRS feed

  • Question

  • We noticed that when a CRM Contact is updated (through a Scribe package nightly), the Contact's emails are moved to the Contact's Owner Private Queue. Any thoughts?

    You help is greatly appreciated.


    Q Suliman
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:40 PM

Answers

  • Q -

    That's interesting b/c the symptoms you describe would be consistent with the contact being re-assigned.

    If the contacts are 'parented' by other contacts or by an account record - is there anything in the overnight jobs that updates the contact's parent record. (and thereby cascading from the account to the contact and from the contact to the activity.)

    If you can, test to see if the contact update job itself is causing the re-assignment -  set up a workflow that adds a note to the contact when the contact is 'reassigned' as a test to see if something in the contact update job - one of your other overnight jobs -  is causing a re-assignment - if no 'reassignment' is occuring on the Contact record, we can rule this out entirely.)



    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:18 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Here's my best guess - since I had the same thing happen to me previously.

    As contacts are updated by the DTS - the owner field is part of the DTS and even though the owner didn't change, the fact that the owner field is updated, the re-assignment cascades down to objects attached to that contact.

    2 ways to avoid this -

    1) disable cascading ownership changes in CRM for Contact-Activity relationship
    or - a little tougher, but much better solution in my opinion.
    2) restructure the DTS and put the ownership assignment in a separate step from the rest of the updates to the contact. - then add logic to determine if the current owner of the contact is different from the owner in your source data and if not skip the step that updates the contact owner.


    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:25 PM
    Moderator
  • Scott, thank you for the reply.

    I checked the DTS and the owner is not one of the fields updated by the Scribe package.

    Thanks.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Q -

    That's interesting b/c the symptoms you describe would be consistent with the contact being re-assigned.

    If the contacts are 'parented' by other contacts or by an account record - is there anything in the overnight jobs that updates the contact's parent record. (and thereby cascading from the account to the contact and from the contact to the activity.)

    If you can, test to see if the contact update job itself is causing the re-assignment -  set up a workflow that adds a note to the contact when the contact is 'reassigned' as a test to see if something in the contact update job - one of your other overnight jobs -  is causing a re-assignment - if no 'reassignment' is occuring on the Contact record, we can rule this out entirely.)



    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:18 PM
    Moderator
  • Great Idea! I will try that and let you know what happens.

    Thanks!
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:26 PM
  • That did it! Thanks for your help.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 2:19 PM