Determine which hard drive files are on? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to determine which physical drive a given file resides on? This info would be useful in debugging the problem I describe below.

I am running uTorrent directly on the server using \\server\path file locations. I am experiencing corrupt downloads, where I must force re-check, download, force re-check, download several times in order to get a good complete download. Strangely, it does not necessarily have to re-download the same pieces each time I force re-check.

I experienced this behavior previously when running the uTorrent app on my Vista desktop saving the files directly to the server, and I thought I had fixed the problem by moving the app over to the server. Now I'm wondering if this is a hardware/driver issue.

I have 7 hard drives, 4 of which are on a Silicon Image 0680A IDE card. I'm wondering if all the corrupt files are being saved onto drives connected to the 0680A. I don't have enough free space to remove all those hard drives to test my theory, but it might come to that eventually.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 5:36 PM

Answers

• It should be possible to figure out which drive a file is on. All of the secondary drives in the storage pool (the ones that are not allocated drive letters) are mounted in the file system as folders under C:\FS. You can use a combination of the amount of space consumed by each of the mount points and what the drives show as space used in Disk Management to determine which mount point corresponds to which drive, and then examine the files under each mount point to find the file you're interested in.

If your file is in a folder that is marked for duplication, it will exist under two mount points. In that case, there's no way to tell which one is having issues.

My guess is that what you're experiencing is an interaction between Drive Extender and microTorrent. If microTorrent closes the file it's writing to while it awaits the next packet, I could see DE trying to move the file into the storage pool. Then when microTorrent tries to write to the file, it gets corrupted because it's being accessed by multiple processes simultaneously. But that's really just a WAG.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 6:15 PM

All replies

• It should be possible to figure out which drive a file is on. All of the secondary drives in the storage pool (the ones that are not allocated drive letters) are mounted in the file system as folders under C:\FS. You can use a combination of the amount of space consumed by each of the mount points and what the drives show as space used in Disk Management to determine which mount point corresponds to which drive, and then examine the files under each mount point to find the file you're interested in.

If your file is in a folder that is marked for duplication, it will exist under two mount points. In that case, there's no way to tell which one is having issues.

My guess is that what you're experiencing is an interaction between Drive Extender and microTorrent. If microTorrent closes the file it's writing to while it awaits the next packet, I could see DE trying to move the file into the storage pool. Then when microTorrent tries to write to the file, it gets corrupted because it's being accessed by multiple processes simultaneously. But that's really just a WAG.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Yeah, that theory about DE and uTorrent is what I had originally thought might be going on, but no one else seemed to have experienced corruption like that. I know I've asked this before, but just in case, I'll ask it again, here. Has anyone had issues with corrupt downloads and uTorrent saving directly to the WHS shares? Maybe someone else with more than one hard drive, I can see not having issues with a single hard drive in the WHS box.

It isn't readily apparent there is corruption, until you try to access the file in question. uTorrent happily thinks everything has downloaded fine, until I re-check.

Thanks Ken. You are awesome. I'm going to try and determine where these files are being saved.

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Jonathan, I will caution you that anything you actually do to the file system under the C:\FS mount points may have severe consequences on Drive Extender. Likewise any changes in Disk Management. Severe consequences as in "Now we need to re-install WHS from scratch. Bye-bye, data!"

Merely examining information should be harmless, though.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 7:00 PM
  • That's what I assumed, but thanks for the heads up.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 7:09 PM
  • OK, in checking 4 recent downloads that had corruption problems, they are all found in D:\DE\shares\users\etc. None of the corrupt files could be found in C:\fs\etc. This seems to imply that Drive Extender shouldn't even be touching them(?) if they are ending up on the main data drive. Is this the case, or is there some other location for the drive extender cache on D:, following which files are distributed to all of the drives in the store, including the data location on the D:\ partition on the primary hard disk?

Does that make sense, what I'm asking?

One thing I had done to try and combat this problem was to have uTorrent pre-allocate all files, but that doesn't seem to have done anything.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 8:17 PM