Removing a drive from the pool. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This post is part of my reaction to yesterday's news (or lack there of) about the data corruption bug.  I am a person that has two or more drives in the server and I was using duplication.  I DID edit a file on the server (something that I was supposed to be able to do with shared folders) and ended up with a corrupt PPT file.  (Yes, I am sure that it was the data corruption bug.  I have reproduced the problem.)  My questions are:

1) If I revert to ONE drive in the server, can I safely edit files in shared folders?  (Or do I just go back to my old NAS box for a file server?)  And now for the hardware question...

2) If I want to revert to one drive, what are the steps that I should take to do so in order to avoid losing any more data?  Can I just use the "Remove" option under server storage and then pull the physical disk?  (I DO want to remove the disk and not use the drive as "unpooled" storage.)

I have an HP EX 475.  My second drive is a SATA 750.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Cheers,

Andy Davis

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:29 PM

All replies

• First, Andy, if you can recreate the issue, please contact Microsoft at whsforum@microsoft.com with details.

Yes, if you revert to a single drive, you are safe from the file corruption issue. You can remove it from the storage pool using the console. If you want to be absolutely certain that your files are safe first, you can copy the files to a different location on your network before you remove the drive.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:44 PM