How do I set up global negative keywords for a campaign? RRS feed

• Question

• This might be a real nube question here but I can't seem to find out where to set up negative keywords for a campaign at the campaign level.  The tool seems to limit you to adding in negative keywords for each keyword you enter?  Please tell me I am being a dunce and just don't know how to do it.

oh and I did use the help, got the "Welcome to Windows Live OneCare Help" searched for "negative" and "negative keywords" and "keywords" and all three yielded (0) help topics.

Thanks,
    Smile dave
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:39 PM

All replies

• I've only had success adding them at the keyword level. You must have a lot of broad terms! Maybe you should spend more time on keyword research/building and submitting some exact match terms... thus ellimating some of the need for negative keywords.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:13 PM
  • Nope not broad match terms, I was going to use phrase groups, but I might have to change my thought on that.  Here is what I was trying to do.  I have a campaign which has eight ad groups in it.  I break each ad group down into sub-groups, because I use the keywords as the title and have some personal organizational preferences. So all in I will have 24 ad groups for this campaign, each eight broken down into these four:

Sub Group One, keyword which are 25 characters or less.
    Sub Group Two, keywords which are 26 characters or more.
    Sub Group Three, keyword mutations which are 25 characters or less.
    Sub Group Four, keyword mutations which are 26 characters or more.

Normally, I would use exact terms, however when you are trying to target in on a specific product group, let's say like mortgage loans, some of your keyword phrases can be multiple words long.  So in order to have exact matches you then need to have those keywords in your list multiple times.  Here is an easy example.

[legal help with foreclosure]
    [legal foreclosure with help]
    [foreclosure with legal help]
    [help with legal foreclosure]

Now if I used a phrase match "legal help with foreclosure" and then add the negative keywords such as -free, -review, -advice, etc or any other that ones I want to eliminate but still make a match on the phrase that would be my preference. I could use one phrased match instead of four (or more) exact matches and help target my ad.  But what I really want is even at a higher level.  I want campaign level negative words.  So when I build a list of phrased keywords, I can target the entire campaign more by using one negative keyword list in one location.

My Microsoft Rep helped me a bit today and there is a way to bulk load negative keywords for an ad group.  However, for me in this campaign I am going to have to bulk load and manage it in 24 different locations to accommodate my various ad groupings.  Now in this one I might be able to get it down to two ad groups, one for all 25 character and smaller keywords and one for all 26 or more.  But then I am limiting my ad content unless I use the {param2} and {param3} variables.  But when I start doing that it becomes extremely complicated to run split ads and tell which ones are performing better and continue to improve the CTR of those ads.

All in all I think the easiest solution for this campaign is to go through it and change all my phrased keywords to matched ones and manage it that way.

Thanks,

Smile dave.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:29 PM