Having Crawling/indexing/ranking problems? Read this first! RRS feed

• Question

• There are a lot of reasons why sites don't get indexed or don't have the depth (number of pages indexed) webmasters would like.  One of the big challenges is ensuring that the sites linking to them are quality sites.  As a webmaster, you need to ensure not only that there is great content on your site, but that you get the right kind of people and sites linking to you. 

You will see me answer this a lot in the forums, because there are a few common mistakes that webmasters make.  For a site to be indexed, it must meet specific standards for content, design, and technical implementation. Ensure that your site follows our indexing guidelines. I recommend reading the techniques section.  A lot of sites that are ranking low, may have a issue that is being caused (whether inadvertantly or not) by items in this section.

Each time we update the index, previous relevance rankings are revised. Therefore, you may notice a shift in your website’s ranking as new sites are added and others become obsolete.

Although you can't directly change your website’s ranking, you can optimize its design and technical implementation to enable appropriate ranking by most search engines. For information about improving your website's ranking, see Guidelines for successful indexing.   Most website owners can see some improvements by doing basic white hat seo. I recommend ensuring that:

1. You have great content. 
    2. Get your content noticed

Ensure that you are not doing any of the following:

• Attempting to increase a page's keyword density by add lots of irrelevant words. This includes stuffing ALT tags that users are unlikely to view.
    • Using hidden text or links. Only use text and links that are visible to users.
    • Using techniques, such as link farms, to artificially increase the number of links to your page.

Often when sites are having problems it is related to something above, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Jeremiah & Brett

Monday, March 31, 2008 9:12 PM

Answers

•  

No,

That is not correct. Our content guidelines/ best practices are applicable to any language and we differentiate our search results based on different languages and markets as well. 

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:57 PM

All replies

•  

As a webmaster, you need to ensure not only that there is great content on your site, but that you get the right kind of people and sites linking to you. 

Interesting statement  but I  suspect and am fairly sure that as an international company with different languages and lettering on our  11 sites , We  are victamised as MSN want only USA or English data !!

So any  multicultural site is automatically listed  as not having great content with the correct american approved links !!!

Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:41 PM
  •  

No,

That is not correct. Our content guidelines/ best practices are applicable to any language and we differentiate our search results based on different languages and markets as well. 

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:57 PM
  • I really would have to exception to that. Search engines do not treat markets differently. I run a transportation company and we can only have so many "key words, applicable links and relevent information" before being seen as spam. How much content could I possibly put on about being transported from the airport to the port of miami? Surely this is not deserving of pages and pages of information.

Please do explain to me in detail why I should have my competitors linking to my site and I linking to them. Why because MSN, Google and Yahoo think it's a good idea? That is just ridiculous. Once you people understand that links mean nothing the better off all of us will be. So what if someone gets 1000 links to their site, it doesn't make it any more relevant than someone else having only 10. More doesn't relate to better.

My site is indexed by both Google and Yahoo yet only my homepage (www.floridasunshineshuttle.com) is on MSN. I even advertise on MSN and still can't get my pages indexed.

I see irrelevant content constantly doing searches for transportation in my service areas yet I'm on page 4 while someone who has a page that has nothing to do with what my search parameters were is on page 1. So I think your and the rest of the companies "ranking" parameters are at best flawed.
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 11:57 AM
  • Hmmm, no response?
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:35 PM
  • Any chance you can give some info on this thread and reciprocal links as mentioned in the post above. It also really concerning me. Everyone looks to be wanting just to exchange links... Are there better ways to prove your content is relevant to subject?

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:21 AM
  • Link Exchanges are merely a way for the Corporations to stay on top in the Search Results.

Big Corps have many sites, if MSN says links are important the Corps will cross-link all of their sites and then who can compete with them.

It really has nothing to do with relavence, it has to do with keeping all the gold.

MSN is just Corporate America at it's finest.

Monday, June 30, 2008 3:37 AM