How to install bare windows on an OEM machine RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, simple problem, with what should be a simple solution.  I have a sony (Well, right now I have a sony, but I have worked on several different computers, and been lucky so far.) and I need to re-install Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  This is the OS that the computer came with, but I have no recovery disks, and the recovery partition is not intact.  So I want to install a bare version of the OS, not the Sony "Version" of the OS.  But do you think I can find a version that will accept the key?  How do I do this?  Where can I get ahold of just the "bare" OEM version?  In the old days, you just grabbed a disk, installed it, and put in the key on the computer.  Now every version you find is hacked this, and moded that.  How do I do this now?  Where do I get a legit disk that will accept the key without having to order every recovery disk for ever model of every computer that comes my way?
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:28 PM

Answers

• Since the release of Windows 7, Windows Vista is no longer sold.  It cannot be downloaded or purchased from Microsoft.  I would suggest purchasing a "Full Version" of Windows 7 instead.  Genuine Windows 7 is available for purchase from the Microsoft Store.  Otherwise, you'll need to Sony Support and order their Windows Vista Recovery Media.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:22 PM
  • "Shadow Wizard1" wrote in message news:9fc7c668-9d67-46dd-b43f-7bce07b8228f...
    Ok, simple problem, with what should be a simple solution.  I have a sony (Well, right now I have a sony, but I have worked on several different computers, and been lucky so far.) and I need to re-install Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  This is the OS that the computer came with, but I have no recovery disks, and the recovery partition is not intact.  So I want to install a bare version of the OS, not the Sony "Version" of the OS.  But do you think I can find a version that will accept the key?  How do I do this?  Where can I get ahold of just the "bare" OEM version?  In the old days, you just grabbed a disk, installed it, and put in the key on the computer.  Now every version you find is hacked this, and moded that.  How do I do this now?  Where do I get a legit disk that will accept the key without having to order every recovery disk for ever model of every computer that comes my way?

If you can find a Full Retail disk for Vista Ultimate (or Vista HP), you should be able to install the OS, with a little care - then copy the DVD for your own use..
    As Carey said, your other option is to contact Sony and purchase a set of Recovery media for your system.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:27 PM

All replies

• Since the release of Windows 7, Windows Vista is no longer sold.  It cannot be downloaded or purchased from Microsoft.  I would suggest purchasing a "Full Version" of Windows 7 instead.  Genuine Windows 7 is available for purchase from the Microsoft Store.  Otherwise, you'll need to Sony Support and order their Windows Vista Recovery Media.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:22 PM
  • "Shadow Wizard1" wrote in message news:9fc7c668-9d67-46dd-b43f-7bce07b8228f...
    Ok, simple problem, with what should be a simple solution.  I have a sony (Well, right now I have a sony, but I have worked on several different computers, and been lucky so far.) and I need to re-install Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  This is the OS that the computer came with, but I have no recovery disks, and the recovery partition is not intact.  So I want to install a bare version of the OS, not the Sony "Version" of the OS.  But do you think I can find a version that will accept the key?  How do I do this?  Where can I get ahold of just the "bare" OEM version?  In the old days, you just grabbed a disk, installed it, and put in the key on the computer.  Now every version you find is hacked this, and moded that.  How do I do this now?  Where do I get a legit disk that will accept the key without having to order every recovery disk for ever model of every computer that comes my way?

If you can find a Full Retail disk for Vista Ultimate (or Vista HP), you should be able to install the OS, with a little care - then copy the DVD for your own use..
    As Carey said, your other option is to contact Sony and purchase a set of Recovery media for your system.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:27 PM