PC Crashed. WHS Backup Database corrupt. Data recoverable? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a family member who has been using an hp home server for a while now.  Recently, she ran a factory restore on her laptop computer because it wasn't running right.  Of course, she did this without concern for her data, since she knows WHS is backing up the laptop each night.

Next, she calls me to find out how to get her data back.  Looking at the WHS console, there are no backups listed for the laptop, and the networks status is critical, showing that the backup database is corrupt.  Tried a repair, but that didn't help.

Is there any way to recover the data in that pc backup from the home server at this point?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:40 PM

Answers

• Realistically, for the average user of Windows Home Server, no. Microsoft doesn't supply forensic tools which would let you try to retrieve data from the database.

And even if you have some significant programming skill (to build your own tools) it will depend on exactly which files are corrupt. There's no real redundancy, and if the files that contain the control structures (folder tree, file names, start of the cluster chain for each file, etc.) are the ones that are corrupt, there's nothing that will reconstruct files from the raw clusters. If it's files containing raw clusters that are corrupt, then you may be able to recover something, with the skill and tools.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by NeighborGeek Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:10 PM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:58 PM

All replies

• Realistically, for the average user of Windows Home Server, no. Microsoft doesn't supply forensic tools which would let you try to retrieve data from the database.

And even if you have some significant programming skill (to build your own tools) it will depend on exactly which files are corrupt. There's no real redundancy, and if the files that contain the control structures (folder tree, file names, start of the cluster chain for each file, etc.) are the ones that are corrupt, there's nothing that will reconstruct files from the raw clusters. If it's files containing raw clusters that are corrupt, then you may be able to recover something, with the skill and tools.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by NeighborGeek Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:10 PM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:58 PM
  • That's about what I expected.  Unfortunately,  there was a LOT of data on that laptop, years worth of digital photos and family tree research etc, and she thought it was all safetly backed up on the server.  

(Yes, she was probably getting the little pop ups about home network health critical for some time, but ignored them.)

Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:03 PM