Disabling users from changing the Incative/Away Status time RRS feed

• Question

• I've got people in my team who have the habit of changing the Inactive/Away times to 60 minutes when they plan to go on unauthorized long breaks, leaving them looking online when they're really Away.

Is there a way to lock this time down to a particular setting or to the defaults (5mins for Inactive/15 minutes for Away)?
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:43 AM

All replies

• I'll take a look in my lab later today, as I'm curious about this.

Most likely this setting is not configurable via Group Policy using the communicator.adm template, but if it is stored in the registry (I'm sure it is) then it is possible to set that value via a GPO at each login.  Additionaly you could modify the key's permission so that non-admin users can't change the value as well, but I'd have to test if that would actually work, as it might not keep users from changing it back each time I login, or it could have possibly 'break' something in OC.

That solution would be tattooing the registry with a GPO, which is not alway common practice, but doable.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:45 PM
  • Okay, I took a look at my lab.

The registry keys which store those settings are:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator\AwayThreshold

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator\IdleThreshold

The apparent valid value ranges for each are (decimal) 5 through 60.

Since changing the permission on the Communicator key would probably cripple the OC client, I don't think there is a way to lock down the settings.  You could 'tattoo' the desired registry settings at each client login and make it annoying for the staff to continually change the values every time they log back into their workstation.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:47 PM
  • I would like to recommend that these two settings be available in a future Communicator Group Policy.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Having the ability to apply a policy on these 2 variables would be very appreciated, indeed !

Can we know if MS plans on including such a feature in future releases ?

Thanks for your time.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:17 PM