Optimum number of drives for data security RRS feed

• Question

• How many drives do I need to install to provide maximum backup protection in case one drive fails?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:09 PM

Answers

• Everything beyond two drives is for capacity expansion. As long as all of your data will fit on a single drive, you can turn on share duplication for all your shares and the files in them will be protected against the failure of any single drive.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Yes, you will get a Network Health notification pop-up, when you run into a shortage of space. WHS keeps about 20GB free on each disk, so your .5tb disk will actually use .480tb - the same with all other drives.

Colin

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:37 PM
  • JonB9

I would go with a third drive, unless power-saving is a requirement.

As an aside, most of the WHS's I have set up, have been with three drives from the start. That way, very little data is stored on the C:/D: system drive and all saved user data etc is across the other two drives.

Colin

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:08 PM

All replies

• Everything beyond two drives is for capacity expansion. As long as all of your data will fit on a single drive, you can turn on share duplication for all your shares and the files in them will be protected against the failure of any single drive.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I installed a second 1tb drive.  The system drive is a .5tb drive.  Will WHS notify me when it can no longer mirror data due to the drive size mismatch?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:51 PM
  • Yes, you will get a Network Health notification pop-up, when you run into a shortage of space. WHS keeps about 20GB free on each disk, so your .5tb disk will actually use .480tb - the same with all other drives.

Colin

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Thanks,

I understand that when the system drive is down to 20mb free I will be notified that I am out of disk space.  Would I then be better off to install a second 1tb drive for a total of 3 drives, or replace the system drive with a 1tb drive?

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:03 PM
  • JonB9

I would go with a third drive, unless power-saving is a requirement.

As an aside, most of the WHS's I have set up, have been with three drives from the start. That way, very little data is stored on the C:/D: system drive and all saved user data etc is across the other two drives.

Colin

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:08 PM