Online drive full: no more sync? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,
    I'm using LiveMesh (v0.9.3424.14) to sync a local folder (from my hard drive).
    I noticed that the synchronization does not happen anymore. So I checked my Live Mesh online drive and saw it was full. I tried to:
    - delete some sub folders from my local hard drive: no synchronization, the same folders aren't deleted from the online drive.
    - delete some sub folders from the online hard drive: not possible: LiveMesh does not allow this function yet.
    What should I do? Delete the partnership and re-start one?
    Thanks
    David
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:52 AM

Answers

• I finally understood what happened. Here is the main text of the bug I submitted:

I'm using LiveMesh (v0.9.3424.14) to sync a local folder (from my hard drive) with the Live Mesh online desktop.
    I noticed that the synchronization does not happen anymore. So I checked my Live Mesh online drive and noticed that the Mesh has lost one of the devices for synchronisation: my home desktop PC.

The mesh is still "aware" that my home's desktop PC exist, but for this folder's synchronisation, it has lost the awareness. The synchronisation now only happens with one device, and this device is the Live Desktop .

To fix the problem, I had to delete the drive on the Live Desktop and re-create it.

David

Friday, March 20, 2009 8:32 AM

All replies

• Are you synchronizing only with the Live Desktop or with other PCs/devices?
    Is the total space on the Live Desktop at the maximum allowed for the single folder tree?
    I recommend that you submit a bug with logs:
    Sticky: How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

And then stop synchronizing the folder locally, then delete the folder from the Live Desktop *if it is the only folder tree you are synchronizing* and start over with a smaller sync.

In theory, if the amount of data to sync exceeds the Live Desktop capacity, it should still sync to other devices in your Mesh via Peer to Peer. However, I don't know if that will happen properly if the folder is partially synchronized to the Live Desktop location and reaches capacity.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Hello Stephen, thanks for your answer.
    To answer your questions:
    - For now I'm testing Mesh with only 2 devices: my home desktop PC and the Live Desktop.
    - In the LiveMesh start web page, it is said: Storage:  99% used , 5086 MB of 5120 MB used . I think this is the maximum limit for the whole live destop. I'm not sure of what you mean by "maximum allowed for the single folder tree".
    I will follow your advice and stop sync then re-enable the sync. And also log a bug.
    Best regards,
    David
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:35 PM
  • I guess my question was a tad confusing. :-)
    What I meant was - are you synchronizing a single folder from your PC to the Live Desktop (for example: Documents and all files and folders within that top level folder)?
    -steve
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:48 PM
  • I finally understood what happened. Here is the main text of the bug I submitted:

I'm using LiveMesh (v0.9.3424.14) to sync a local folder (from my hard drive) with the Live Mesh online desktop.
    I noticed that the synchronization does not happen anymore. So I checked my Live Mesh online drive and noticed that the Mesh has lost one of the devices for synchronisation: my home desktop PC.

The mesh is still "aware" that my home's desktop PC exist, but for this folder's synchronisation, it has lost the awareness. The synchronisation now only happens with one device, and this device is the Live Desktop .

To fix the problem, I had to delete the drive on the Live Desktop and re-create it.

David

Friday, March 20, 2009 8:32 AM
  • Thanks for the follow-up and the bug submission. I assume that once you recreated the sync relationship that all was well again and it now works as expected.
    -steve
    Friday, March 20, 2009 1:22 PM