Can different sizes and speeds of hard drives be used in Windows Home Server 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• I am doing a home build of a Windows Home Server 2011 with a case that has 7 bays for hard drives. I would like to use 7 new hard drives that I have on hand for the build. I understand the same sizes must be in pairs of the same sizes. Do they have to be the same brands? I have a 2TB Western Digital 7200rpm drive I would like to pair with a 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm drive, will these two drive work well together? I also have two Hitachi Model HDS5C3020ASA632, 2TB, 5940rpm drives that I would like to pair together, will that work? Then lastly I have three 1.5GB hard drives one from Seagate, one Western Digital, and one Hitachi and I would like to know if any of these three can be paired together in raid 10 and the third one used as my hard drive for my operating system? I would also like to know if I configure all as raid 10 can the WHS 2011 OS utilize the full capacity of all the drives or must I get two more 2TB drives to get the full capacity from the 6 storage drives and must the OS drive also be 2TB capacity as well to get full utilization of the storage capacity of all the drives in the raid 10 configuration? Thank you.

hayhurst2

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:38 PM

All replies

• I am doing a home build of a Windows Home Server 2011 with a case that has 7 bays for hard drives. I would like to use 7 new hard drives that I have on hand for the build. I understand the same sizes must be in pairs of the same sizes. Do they have to be the same brands? I have a 2TB Western Digital 7200rpm drive I would like to pair with a 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm drive, will these two drive work well together? I also have two Hitachi Model HDS5C3020ASA632, 2TB, 5940rpm drives that I would like to pair together, will that work? Then lastly I have three 1.5GB hard drives one from Seagate, one Western Digital, and one Hitachi and I would like to know if any of these three can be paired together in raid 10 and the third one used as my hard drive for my operating system? I would also like to know if I configure all as raid 10 can the WHS 2011 OS utilize the full capacity of all the drives or must I get two more 2TB drives to get the full capacity from the 6 storage drives and must the OS drive also be 2TB capacity as well to get full utilization of the storage capacity of all the drives in the raid 10 configuration? Thank you.

hayhurst2

• Merged by Ken Warren Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:58 AM duplicate thread
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:40 PM
  • WHS2011 does not do any drive pooling so your question does not really relate to its capabilities but more of a question about how to use a RAID - there is lots of internet based information to research. General advice is to use drives from the same manufacturer - what you are proposing may work but I wouldn't trust any critical data to it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:27 AM