BUYING ONECARE IN STORES? RRS feed

• Question

• I found that OneCare 2.0 is currently on sale at Best Buy for 24.99.  I know that if i download OneCare from the Website, then activate it, it costs 49.95 for a year subscription.  If I buy OneCare at Best Buy, will I have to pay an additional 49.95 to activate it?  Or am I buying a full version with a cd-key or activation key?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• I called 1800BestBuy, they didn't know, called 1800GeekSquad, and it was the same customer service system, so I wasn't actually speaking to a computer-savvy representative... Finally I called the local Best Buy and spoke to them ...

For everyone's enjoyment and benefit, I will answer my own question after finding the answer.

The 24.99 at Best Buy is the full software, comes with activation/serial number for one-year subscription.  So I don't know why I would pay 49.95 from Microsoft download ...

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:10 PM
  • You'd do it if like me your billing rate is over $100/hr. and it would cost you more in wasted time to go to the store than what you'd save.

However, you are correct, there's no reason you can't do exactly what you discovered and for the greater number of people saving $25 would be worth the time, especially if they're going to the same store anyway. In fact I did do this last year for a family member's computer to save them money for their renewal.

Also, do NOT reinstall the software from the included CD, simply logon to your billing account and renew your current subscription using the 25 character product number (it's not a serial number) found inside the box. You already have the current software on your PC, so you'll simply mess up your installation if you use the CD.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:24 AM

All replies

• I called 1800BestBuy, they didn't know, called 1800GeekSquad, and it was the same customer service system, so I wasn't actually speaking to a computer-savvy representative... Finally I called the local Best Buy and spoke to them ...

For everyone's enjoyment and benefit, I will answer my own question after finding the answer.

The 24.99 at Best Buy is the full software, comes with activation/serial number for one-year subscription.  So I don't know why I would pay 49.95 from Microsoft download ...

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:10 PM
  • You'd do it if like me your billing rate is over $100/hr. and it would cost you more in wasted time to go to the store than what you'd save.

However, you are correct, there's no reason you can't do exactly what you discovered and for the greater number of people saving $25 would be worth the time, especially if they're going to the same store anyway. In fact I did do this last year for a family member's computer to save them money for their renewal.

Also, do NOT reinstall the software from the included CD, simply logon to your billing account and renew your current subscription using the 25 character product number (it's not a serial number) found inside the box. You already have the current software on your PC, so you'll simply mess up your installation if you use the CD.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:24 AM
  •  burtbacharach wrote:

I found that OneCare 2.0 is currently on sale at Best Buy for 24.99.  I know that if i download OneCare from the Website, then activate it, it costs 49.95 for a year subscription.  If I buy OneCare at Best Buy, will I have to pay an additional 49.95 to activate it?  Or am I buying a full version with a cd-key or activation key?

Just to follow up with what OneCareBear said, this is exactly how I bought it, and no - You don't have to pay anything more that year.  Its the full version.

Beyond sometimes being cheaper, I prefer having the boxed software on-hand in case I need to reinstall.  Another nice side benefit is the box only contains the installer - OneCare downloads the latest version as part of the install process.  This way, whenever you install from the disk, you install the latest version even if its months old.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:18 PM