WHS / Win 7 Ultimate / Xbox 360 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS to store videos and movies  for few years. I have a PC with a lot of horse power with and tuners that I use to sream videso and music to 2 Xbox360 in my house. This setup worked perfectly for 2 years until I upgraded my Pc to Win 7 ultimate.  I prefer to use Win Media Center and since the upgrade Xbox can take few minutes to start playing videos located on the server. Once the playback starts, it continues without a problem.  Everything is on a gigabit network and I do not expirience this issue when streaming to my PCs from the server, or from PC to Xbox. Any idea on what may be causing the delay in playaback? The screen simply says buffering for few minutes, no error messages on server or or xbox.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:36 AM

Answers

• I got this fixed. Not WHS issue but Win 7. I checked the event log and I saw :

An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center, 'ffdshow compatibility manager (This dialog will close in 25 seconds.)', with file name 'C:\Windows\System32\mfpmp.exe'.

After getting rid of ffdshow, everything back to normal.

Thanks for info about the green button. I will check if someone report this already.

• Marked as answer by res72 Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:42 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:42 AM

All replies

• Hi res72,

This sounds like it's actually a buffer size issue in WMC7 - guess it's bigger on Windows 7 than vista/xp was.  You might want to head over to a site dedicated more to media centre called the green button:
    http://thegreenbutton.com/

They also know a bit about Windows Home Server too ;-)

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:31 AM
  • I got this fixed. Not WHS issue but Win 7. I checked the event log and I saw :

An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center, 'ffdshow compatibility manager (This dialog will close in 25 seconds.)', with file name 'C:\Windows\System32\mfpmp.exe'.

After getting rid of ffdshow, everything back to normal.

Thanks for info about the green button. I will check if someone report this already.

• Marked as answer by res72 Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:42 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:42 AM