Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I accessed MS Money on Oct 1, 2016. Backed up on external HD. Now it says its not there. Running Windows 10
    . Could a virus have caused this?
    • Edited by Fossil50 Saturday, October 8, 2016 11:23 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2016 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi. Could you supply a few more details such as whether you checked the external drive at the time to confirm success and so on. Does MSMoney still run? Sounds like a non-MSMoney prob but if you give us a keystroke by keystroke account the nice people here will do their best!

Dr AS

Friday, October 7, 2016 5:42 PM
  • I did a search *.mny and it shows no backup or existence of that file.
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 10:29 AM
  • Yes its still runs but has no information entered from the last backup
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 11:24 AM
  • I did a search *.mny and it shows no backup or existence of that file.

Backup files are *.mbf files. Money data files are *.mny files. There is a file called Sample.mny on your hard drive, and if your search did not turn that up, you might try a different search. In a command file,

dir \*.mny /s /a

would look for all *.mny files on the current drive.

dir \*.mbf /s /a

would look for backup files.

I like Agent Ransack as a search program that does a more complete search.

Saturday, October 8, 2016 4:16 PM
  • Yes its still runs but has no information entered from the last backup
    I think Dr AS was suggesting a more detailed set of details. Avoid using "it" without it being clear what "it" is.

Saturday, October 8, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Tried that, nothing
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 8:23 PM
  • Tried that, nothing
    That sounds improbable. That would imply that Money is not installed on the drive you are checking.
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 12:00 AM
  • The program is there. Only backup shown is the sample that comes with the installation
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 11:12 AM
  • Windows 10 will not save changes to user data files in Program Files or Program Files (x86). Your .mny data file and .mbf backup file(s) should be somewhere in your C:/Users/<username>/Documents area or on a different drive.

If you have had problems with your Windows 10 installation and Reset it this may have wiped out your data. If this is so, you may find a copy of your data in a C:/Windows.old directory.

If your data was on a different drive (not C:), has the relevant drive letter been changed?

Which version of Money are you using?

The expected location of your Money data file may be shown on Money's startup screen, where you are asked for any relevant password.

Sunday, October 9, 2016 11:43 AM
  • I was saving on my external hard drive F. That's where I had been looking. No back up on C drive either, just a sample back up, not my data
    . No password request.
    • Edited by Fossil50 Sunday, October 9, 2016 12:35 PM
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 12:21 PM
  • Are you certain that the current F: is the same physical drive you were saving on?

If you have plugged e.g. a USB stick the drive letter assignments may now be different.

Sunday, October 9, 2016 2:05 PM
  • Yes I am sure. Nothing else was plugged in.
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 2:41 PM
  • If you are sure that the data and backup files were on F: and they are not now present, the files must have been deleted.

See Recover Deleted Files from Windows 10 .

Sunday, October 9, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Thanks I'll give it a shot
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 5:24 PM
  • Must have been over written or deleted
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Gremlins! Today I opened my External hard drive and my photo folder was missing. I uninstalled the box and re booted. Lo and behold, there was all my files including Microsoft Money from 10/1/16!!! Loos usb cord maybe?
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 2:33 PM
  • Gremlins! Today I opened my External hard drive and my photo folder was missing. I uninstalled the box and re booted. Lo and behold, there was all my files including Microsoft Money from 10/1/16!!! Loos usb cord maybe?

Nice!

After this scare, I expect you are reviewing your backup procedures. Cloud storage  can add an offsite advantage, although I tend to act as if any cloud could be compromised, so I use strong encryption for sensitive things like my Money backups.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Rebooting can clear problems.

But check your external drlve - it may be failing. See 14 Free Hard Drive Testing Programs - choose the most appropriate testing routine.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Will do
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 9:46 PM
  • Tried several programs. They say it's fine.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 12:24 PM