Windows 7 Home Premium can't access Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a home-built Windows Home Server PC Sunday. I downloaded the trial version a few months back and tested it with Vista Home Premium and had no problems. I just didn't have a PC to dedicate to that job at that time. Now I do. Loaded the OEM version. WHS install went fine. Let it download and install 61 updates.

I cannot access it from my Windows 7 Home Premium client. It won't "buy" the password. It sees it on the network. I just can't open the console or access the shared folders. I CAN access it from our HP notebook running XP MCE and it works as advertised.

It was suggested that I installed PP 3. I seem to be download-challenged at MS Connect. I will continue to try.

Thanks for any help,

Terry
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:05 PM

Answers

• I've thrown in the towel on WHS. I've installed XP Pro on the server box and shared out some drives. I'll Remote Desktop in to do routine stuff. I THINK I can install RoboCopy and set up some scripts to do the backups. I think I would rather manage the drives anyway rather than tie them all together like WHS does. I would have preferred Vista or Seven but I would have to buy a "Pro" (or Ultimate) seat for Remote Desktop. So XP Pro it is.
    • Marked as answer by terryj47 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:53 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:53 AM

All replies

• More info: I CAN make a Remote Desktop Connection to the WHS from the Win 7 PC and the password works fine. I also can boot the W7 PC from its old OS drive running Vista Home Premium. The WHS Connector installs fine under Vista HP and accepts the WHS password. The WHS console opens fine.

There are others having this same problem although the majority of replies indicate most installations are going ok. But this IS a problem.

I would at least appreciate a reply from someone at MS. I just dropped a bundle on MS upgrades.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:36 PM
  • I guess this is not the place to ask such a question...
    Friday, November 20, 2009 11:46 PM
  • You say you can RDP into the server from Win7, but cannot access the shares.............Are you using the same Administrator name and Password to try the shares? Does it pop up the user name and password login box or just do nothing at all?

Cruise

I have 3 machines on Win 7 now and all are working fine with WHS, can access the share, etc.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Hey Cruise,

When I Remote Desktop into the server I can access the shared folders fine from the remote desktop. I think what I meant was that I can't access them from a client by double-click on the server in the network display. This is not surprising since the machine doesn't have the connector installed because I get the incorrect password message and it backs out of the install. I guess that means it's not really a client.

I've posted this situation on a couple of different forums. Some users are having exactly the same problem. More users are responding saying it is working fine. Perhaps two to one.

Thanks for responding.

Terry
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Update: I have managed to download what appears to be Power Pack 3 Beta. I copied the folder to the desktop on the server. Ran install.cmd. It went through the motions and said it installed PP 3. It appeared to. After restart though, it still reports itself as SP 2 in My Computer properties. That's SP 2, not PP 2. Downloading the connector software to a prospective client fails in the same way with the incorrect password message. I think it is in fact a new connector installer because when you give up because you CAN'T install, it no longer creates a window that is mostly off my screen in the upper left corner of the client desktop. This software simply does not work for everybody. Why do we need this level of security for a home server? At least by default. I'm may sell it on E-Bay or someplace. It is not activated. I also updated the video driver on the client today. No difference. They blame everything on video drivers don't they. Enough ranting.
    • Edited by terryj47 Monday, November 23, 2009 12:56 AM Toned down
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:25 PM
  • I've thrown in the towel on WHS. I've installed XP Pro on the server box and shared out some drives. I'll Remote Desktop in to do routine stuff. I THINK I can install RoboCopy and set up some scripts to do the backups. I think I would rather manage the drives anyway rather than tie them all together like WHS does. I would have preferred Vista or Seven but I would have to buy a "Pro" (or Ultimate) seat for Remote Desktop. So XP Pro it is.
    • Marked as answer by terryj47 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:53 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:53 AM
  • I gave it one last try after MS released PP3 on WU. This time it works. Go figure.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Im fighting with the same problem.. all client PC´s are good on WHS, but this one running Windows 7 just cant get in. Had a trial server running under the name "Server" which worked fine with Win 7. Built new server and named it "Server2". Ran Connector on all clients with no probs, exept for Win 7. Now my "password is incorrect". PP3 installed yesterday but with no change. Any Ideas would be much apprieciated..

Unbelievable but true.. Found the fault. The System date was wrong on my WHS.. corrected the date and everything is OK..
    • Proposed as answer by stuart3 Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:00 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Don't give up. There's a fix for it!

Run secpol.msc
    Drill down through Local Policies | Security Options.
    Find Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level.
    Set this Send NTLM response only.

See my bug filed at Connect. I haven't heard back from them yet. Add comments, let them know this issue exists for more than 1 person!

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=444561&wa=wsignin1.0
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 12:17 AM
  • Thanks Stuart, 

After hours working with the same "wrong password" issue on Windows 7 Clients, this line saved my day!

"Unbelievable but true.. Found the fault. The System date was wrong on my WHS.. corrected the date and everything is OK.."

Easy does it!

/ZR
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Stuart - you are a saviour!  Hours spent trying to get to the bottom of this problem before I saw your one liner.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:13 AM
  • My WHS had the correct data and time, BUT my Windows 7 Ultimate client had the wrong date!  After updating client date and time, I can now connect.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:06 AM
  • Fantastic!! I just spent to many hours trying to fix this. Thank you!!
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Thanks Stuart3!! :) It worked!

Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:46 PM