none
Windows Home Server Console Hang and Remote Desktop Hang RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue with my Media Smart home server that I canno seem to find a soultion too.  I have been searching throught the forum posts so far and no joy.  Here is the situation.

1. Folder Access Works (I've Taken a full Backup of my WHS at this point out of concerns)

2. Console Access via the WHS tools or MSTSC launches and get's to the Windows Home Server Background but goes no further.

3. EventLog's are relatively clean...  Only entries are for an occasional COM warning.

I'm at a loss for how to troubleshoot further so I went for a reset of the server and followed the instruction closely...  I am consistently getting a Server Not Found Error now which prevents me from doing the reset...  That has not affected the state above.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Colin

Friday, September 2, 2011 10:21 PM

All replies

• I'm having the exact same problem, and my remote desktop hangs too!  This has only happened recently, which makes me wonder if it has anything to do with a recent Windows update...  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Julie

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:57 PM
  • I too am now having a similar issue...The system works perfectly UNTIL approximately 10-20 minutes AFTER a reboot of the WHS.

1)  I will loose Folder Share Access

2) Then a few minutes later (1-2), I loose WHS Console access

3) And finally I will lose RDP access.

Power cycle the server and everything runs properly again for about the same amount of time.    ...Nothing shows up to give a clue as to the issue in logs, etc.

Up until this issue arose approximately 50 days ago (August 1?), the server has run perfectly for the past 12 months.

Environment:

HP MSS EX 485 - Fully patched

IBM ThinkCentre A60/Windows 7 Ultimate  - Fully updated (BIOS, Patched, etc.)

Any ideas on where to start looking?

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:03 AM
  • I started to get the same issue today. After booting I loose the shares and connectivity. This has started today. Never had this issue in the past 2 years. Did you find the source of the problem ?

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:27 PM
  • I have been trying to figure this issue out for the past week. Same symptoms. works after reboot then things start slowing then conenctions die. Still dont have the answer but thought letting you all know the things I checked already would help pinpoint the issue quicker.

I have:

- removed all add ins

- applied all patches

- removed any mapped drives

- reinstalled the console

- checked that my files are there (they are)

- check all logs (no issues)

- defragged my system disk (it needed it), dont think this was the issue

- watched the screen alot.

I did notice that this has not impacted MAC machines that back up to the WHS. I'm thinking this might be a networking or security issue and is related to Windows 7. MSS has been running perfectly since I got the x510 last year.

I am going to try connecting the WHS box directly to my Win 7 machine to see if there is a router issue.

Enviroment:

HP MSS x510

HP Pavillion Win 7 Home Edition

Any further ideas?

Further Note:

- researching the web, it seems there is a lot of discussion around the impact of Win 7 SP1 to RDC. Seems it i no longer supported in WIn 7 for security reasons. And therefore does not work for WIn7 and WHS V1.

Ideas?

• Edited by E S A Monday, December 26, 2011 3:23 AM
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 7:58 PM