Using CRM's email plug in on Outlook vs using the email system directly through CRM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. We're new to CRM at our company so I'm just now getting familiar with the program. I would like to know what our the pros and cons of using the CRM plug in on Outlook vs simply using the email system already implemented within the CRM. Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:49 PM

Answers

• Are you referring to using the Microsoft CRM Outlook Client (plug in?) vs. the Microsoft CRM Web Client?

For processing emails, both work fine.  The main downside to the Outlook Client is that it requires an installation (setup.exe) vs. running Microsoft CRM in the Internet Explorer browser.  Besides integrating with Outlook with the Outlook Client, both Clients offer the same CRM functionalities.

Follow Workopia on Twitter

http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

• Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, January 8, 2010 4:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by SQL_4_Me Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:15 PM
  • I have found this post to be the most informative distinction between the different ways of sending email in CRM.

That said, you also should note that you can't do a lot of email tracking things in CRM without the Outlook Client installed... it is highly recommended whatever your scenario. 
    • Unproposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, January 8, 2010 4:13 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Reitmeyer Friday, January 8, 2010 8:21 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Hi,

we use CRM for quite a while now in our company and I can say that the browser has some limitations like

attachment handling (yes it can drive you crazy opening three windows until you get the attachment)
    pictures within emails (some work some don't, many are attached and you get back to the limitation above)
    email have to be opend before you can reply,forward,reply all
    some problems with HTML emails
    AND
    we did not manage how to use appointments - they are shown incorrectly and unuseable
    when adding an attachment you have to save the email first

all above limitations do not apply to outlook :-) and compared to outlook you got to do a lot of clicks until you get the same result.

Br
    Ron
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, January 8, 2010 4:10 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:10 AM
  • One item to add in addition to those all ready referenced is that people are used to managing e-mail in Outlook.  From a user perspective, I think that most find the ability to manage e-mail from one application rather than two a definite advantage.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, January 8, 2010 4:11 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 4:11 PM

All replies

• Are you referring to using the Microsoft CRM Outlook Client (plug in?) vs. the Microsoft CRM Web Client?

For processing emails, both work fine.  The main downside to the Outlook Client is that it requires an installation (setup.exe) vs. running Microsoft CRM in the Internet Explorer browser.  Besides integrating with Outlook with the Outlook Client, both Clients offer the same CRM functionalities.

Follow Workopia on Twitter

http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:15 PM
  • I have found this post to be the most informative distinction between the different ways of sending email in CRM.

That said, you also should note that you can't do a lot of email tracking things in CRM without the Outlook Client installed... it is highly recommended whatever your scenario. 
    • Unproposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, January 8, 2010 4:13 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Reitmeyer Friday, January 8, 2010 8:21 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Hi,

we use CRM for quite a while now in our company and I can say that the browser has some limitations like

attachment handling (yes it can drive you crazy opening three windows until you get the attachment)
    pictures within emails (some work some don't, many are attached and you get back to the limitation above)
    email have to be opend before you can reply,forward,reply all
    some problems with HTML emails
    AND
    we did not manage how to use appointments - they are shown incorrectly and unuseable
    when adding an attachment you have to save the email first

all above limitations do not apply to outlook :-) and compared to outlook you got to do a lot of clicks until you get the same result.

Br
    Ron
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, January 8, 2010 4:10 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:10 AM
  • One item to add in addition to those all ready referenced is that people are used to managing e-mail in Outlook.  From a user perspective, I think that most find the ability to manage e-mail from one application rather than two a definite advantage.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, January 8, 2010 4:11 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 4:11 PM
  • THank you all! I really appreciate your help!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:29 PM
  • You're welcome, glad it helped.  Have a good day
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:42 PM