CRM 2001 Email Router "Send as another another user permission"

Question

• Hello,

I am using CRM Online 2011 together with the E-Mail Router (obviously installed onPremise) and Microsoft Exchange Online (BPOS). I have confirmed that the email router is working at that my administration account can send emails through CRM.

I have setup a very simple workflow that sends an email notification every time a new task is created:

• The workflow is triggered upon creation of a new task.
    • The email contains a simple "a new task has been created" subject.
    • The email goes to (TO:) the owner of the task.
    • The email is sent by (FROM:) an administrative account with CRM administration rights (Security Role). I use this account to send general notifications and alerts from CRM.

The problem is, the email don't get send. I receive the following error:

"You cannot send emails as the selected user. The selected user has not allowed this or you do not hav sufficient privileges to do so."

The error log shows the following:

Unhandled Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.OrganizationServiceFault, Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35]]: User does not have send-as privilege.Detail:
    <OrganizationServiceFault xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/xrm/2011/Contracts">
      <ErrorCode>-2147203059</ErrorCode>
      <ErrorDetails xmlns:d2p1="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic" />
      <Message>User does not have send-as privilege.</Message>
      <Timestamp>2011-02-18T17:53:54.4776191Z</Timestamp>
      <InnerFault i:nil="true" />
      <TraceText i:nil="true" />
    </OrganizationServiceFault>

I checked the email and it's true that the Owner is different than the Sender. I guess the workflow tries to send the email in the name of the owner of the task. However the sender of the email (FROM) is the administration account. So there is probably the conflict.

Now I know that there is a security setting called "Send Email as another user" which can be found in the Business Management section of the security roles. BUT, the funny thing is that both the owner of the task as well as the sending account have administrative rights. Thus I doubled checked that the have this "Send Email as another user" privilege enabled.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
    Manuel

manuel_altermatt@hotmail.com
    Friday, February 18, 2011 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hey Matt,

Thanks for your message. In the end we were able to solve the issue. As your article points out, it was indeed the "Allow other Microsoft Dynamics CRM users to send E-mail on your behalf" setting in the personal settings. Problem was, this setting doesn't always show up in the personal settings. If you assign more than one security role to the Administrator, the setting kind of disappears.

Funny thing is, we never knew what exactly made the option appear or disappear. But the day it appeared, we set it, and from then on everything was fine. :)

Regrads,

Manuel

maltermatt@syndeo.mx
    Friday, May 20, 2011 8:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Manuel,

Please see this article.  See the section on Impersonation.  This could be the issue.

Impersonation - Impersonation access type causes e-mail to be sent as "Sent As" messages. This requires the administrator to have "Sent As" permissions over the Exchange Online mailbox to which the e-mail Router is connecting.

• The “Sent As” is currently not enabled by default to the Exchange Online Admins. This requires a support call to Exchange Online Support (Note this might change with future Exchange Online releases).
    • When a user is setup to use this Outbound profile the e-mail Router will read the users settings in CRM and attempt to send as the user listed in the Primary E-mail field.

Regards, Donna

Friday, February 25, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Hey Donna,

Thanks so much for your reply. Your tip was certainly looking like a shot in the right direction. I contacted BPOS Support Desk and they were able to help me set those "Send As" rights on Exchange Online. I worked with them so I was sure that on the Exchange side, the permissions were properly set so a account could send emails in the name of another account.

Yet the error in CRM persists. And to be honest, I think the email doesn't even get to the email router and to Exchange Online. See, in CRM, right after I click the "Send Email" button, a message will pop up right away and tell me that I don't have the CRM privileges to send an email as someone else. So I believe my emails doesn't even make it past the CRM permissions.

There is the obvious "send as" user privilege that needs to be set in CRM. But I ruled that out by giving all my accounts Administrator rights.

I am going to open up a ticket with Microsoft and see if that's not a bug.

Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot,
    Manuel

maltermatt@syndeo.mx
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:10 PM
  • I'm glad that helped as  you would need that setting change to get everything working as expected.  Since everyone has Sys Admin rights in CRM, I suspect the issue might lie in your e-mail router settings rather than CRM but I could be wrong. 

Have a look at these two articles and ensure your e-mail router is configured correctly.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dynamicscrmonline/archive/2009/12/07/crm-online-e-mail-router-and-exchange-online.aspx

http://njevity.com/blog/using-dynamics-crm-email-router-exchange-online

Also please ensure nothing is getting blocked by anti-virus, port setting or other network interference

Regards, Donna

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Hi Manuel

Not sure if ever resolved this issue, but we were experiencing exactly the same issue. The email router was configured to connect as an administrator with full Send As rights in BPOS, but CRM would not allow us to change the Send As user in an email. Eventually, we found this article http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com/2011/04/email-router-fun.html which fixed the problem

For the CRM Dynamics team. Please reconsider providing error messages that tell you to speak to your system administrator and then don't tell the system administrators how to fix the issue.

Regards,

Matt

Friday, May 20, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Hey Matt,

Thanks for your message. In the end we were able to solve the issue. As your article points out, it was indeed the "Allow other Microsoft Dynamics CRM users to send E-mail on your behalf" setting in the personal settings. Problem was, this setting doesn't always show up in the personal settings. If you assign more than one security role to the Administrator, the setting kind of disappears.

Funny thing is, we never knew what exactly made the option appear or disappear. But the day it appeared, we set it, and from then on everything was fine. :)

Regrads,

Manuel

maltermatt@syndeo.mx
    Friday, May 20, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Interesting, maybe it was a combination of the two?  First you had to get the  "Send As" rights on Exchange Online" configured on Exchange Online and then the right setting in CRM.  In your Original message, you indicated that the CRM setting was already set so I didn't reference that in my response

"Thus I doubled checked that the have this "Send Email as another user" privilege enabled."

I am glad everything is working as expected now.

Regards, Donna

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:26 PM
  • You have to set the "Send-As" permission for every user wouldn't you?  Seems like a better way should be available.  That's allowing anybody to impersonate anybody, right?
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Yes, you have to set the permission to allow others to Send on the user's behalf in the personal settings for each user that wants to allow this behavior.  An easier way to set this for everyone is to use the User Setting Utility available on CodePlex.

Regards, Donna

Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:08 PM
  • But that still doesn't answer my questions about security and impersonating others when not desired.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:13 PM
  • I didn't see the questions about "security and impersonating others" above.  I saw this question, "That's allowing anybody to impersonate anybody, right?" so I was confirming your understanding to some extent. 

If someone does not want someone else to send email on their behalf (different from impersonation) then they can choose to not select the setting.  This is an change in functionality for CRM 2011.  In the past, the option was addressed within the security role only.  Please not that you also need to give the person the abilty to Send on the Behalf of others in the Security Role.

Where the Send on Behalf permission comes into play is with workflows and Marketing emails.  If the person triggering the Send behavior is different from the person in the "From" line, the email will either be delivered or not delivered depending on this setting.  This functionality has been available in CRM for several versions.  In CRM 2011 it has gained more attention because now people have the option to "opt in or opt out" in their personal settings.  Each person can agree or not agree to allow someone else to send an email on their behalf.  Understand that if a person opts out, Marketing might not be able to send emails and workflow related email might fail if the "From" recipient differs from the "Sender".

Regards, Donna

Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Donna, thanks for the background.  But won't this allow any standard user (non-system/admin) to create his own workflow and send e-mail on behalf of someone else consequently impersonating them?  Is there anyway to prevent this but still allow the legitimate workflows to function?
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Just to be clear, it is not impersonating when you send email on the behalf of another.

Yes, anyone could create a workflow if that person has create privileges for Workflows and send email on behalf of another if that person's security role has the privilege to do that.  My point is that this is not something new for CRM, it has always existed.  My suggestion is to not give the privilege to a user you can not trust.  If you are not sure who you can or can't trust then there is no CRM system that will be bulletproof.  Rather, I encourage you to have a look at your company culture and make improvements there.

Regards, Donna

Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Have a look at this article.  I had the same problem for 8 months.  Just fixed it.  It has to do with updating a field in the SQL DB.

http://www.digital-transition.com/archives/2011/crm-2011-user-does-not-have-send-as-privilege/

Use the following query:

UPDATE UserSettings
    SET IsSendAsAllowed  = 1
    WHERE IsSendAsAllowed = 0

The UserSettings table isnt in the CONFIG DB, but the other one.

Stuart Robertson
    Software Wholesale Intl.
    http://www.software-intl.com

• Edited by Stufly73 Friday, September 28, 2012 4:42 AM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 4:40 AM
  • Hi Stuffly

I know the updating the code works but I dont think this is supported. Moreover for online MS CRM users wont be able do this too. Please see this blog which provides the SDK code to update the User Settings

http://congruentdynamics.blogspot.in/2013/02/ms-crm-2011-workflow-does-not-send.html

Thanks!

Kirsh

• Proposed as answer by Kirsh Jay Friday, February 22, 2013 6:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, February 22, 2013 2:57 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 6:00 AM
  • Guys, this post is more than two years old and is specific to BPOS (not office 365) and CRM Online.  Let's not confuse people with incorrect information.

Thanks,

Regards, Donna

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Hi Donna,

I believe that you are incorrect in the assumption that this is a BPOS / CRM Online specific topic.  

The message is generated by a workflow trying to send email on behalf of a user without that user having updated their Personal Options in CRM to allow such.  The same message will be triggered both on-premise and online; Office 365 or not.

There is a way to bulk update these settings as an administrator using the following:
    http://crm2011usersettings.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=CRM2011%20User%20Settings%20Utility%20%202.0

"Allow Emails on My Behalf" is the setting that would need to be set in order to allow the workflow owner to send email for them.

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:48 PM
  • Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:40 AM