Recent experience with a restore of one of my computers has left me frustrated with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• So computer starts acting screwy. It needs to be restored from last nights backup. So i go and i download the latest restore cd here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=26881305-91CC-4F37-B1FC-3813C423DF2C&displaylang=en

I then boot up my computer with the CD and it can't find the network cards which i'm a a little bit suprised of. I have a home built computer with an Asus P5Q Pro which has an Atheros AR8121 gigabit network card. While not the most common atheros network cards are integrated into quite a few motherboards.

Anyways no problem right. I will just go to the my home server with my labtop and put the "windows home server drivers for restore" on a usb key. So i do that and boot up the restore cd again and tell it to scan the usb drive. Well it scans it and gives me the message "windows home server has installed the new drivers on your system" or something like that but still no network card.

This is when i started to get really irritated. Isn't windows home server supposed to take frustration out of trying to restore your pc....it certainly wasn't in this case. So i go to asus site and download the lastest drivers for my network card and put it in the directory above. At first i did the 64 bit drivers because i didn't realize the restore cd was 32 bit. So i correct my mistake and put the 32 bit drivers on the restore cd. Finally i'm able to get WHS to detect my network card. So i go on to the next step and let it search for my windows home server on my network which of course it fails. I try to manually type in the name and it fails again.

I really started to get mad! What the heck it found my network card in the previous step! I knew it was the network related. So i go to a machine that has an intel network card that i know windows home server detects out of the gate. So i tear apart the machine and rip the network card out and put it into the machine i want to restore. It works perfectly and i'm able to FINALLY restore the cd.

I do have PP3 and all the lastest updates installed.
    1) Why in the world does the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" drivers not work?
    2) Why when i was finally able to get good drivers and WHS was able to detect the network card did it not work?

I spent about a 1.5 days getting all this figured out and very frustrated right now. I can tell you i had a similar situation in another computer that had an add-on promise ide controller but as soon as i got whs to detect the storage controller (good drivers) life was good. It wasn't so in this case. Even with the network adapter detected it didn't work.

Ncage

P.S. This machine is has Windows 7 x64 ultimate on it.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 1:36 AM

All replies

• It explains most of the issues i had. Since the restore cd is 32 bit i wish ms had a way to specify 32 bit drivers somehow when your running a 64 bit os or maybe had some type of console where you could create a custom restore cd with all the drivers you need. What it doesn't explain is after i was able to get the restore cd to detect the card why it didn't work.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:33 PM
  • There's an active feedback item regarding this here.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:00 PM
  • It explains most of the issues i had. Since the restore cd is 32 bit i wish ms had a way to specify 32 bit drivers somehow when your running a 64 bit os or maybe had some type of console where you could create a custom restore cd with all the drivers you need. What it doesn't explain is after i was able to get the restore cd to detect the card why it didn't work.

It is not wel documented (nor is it in the FAQ refernced in an earlier post in thsi thread) but the restore CD is based on Vista code. Some XP drivers have problems with this.

Next time try the 32-bits Vista compatible drivers?
    They should work (they do for me on a ASUS P5Q with Atheros AR8121 drivers v1.0.0.45)

- Theo.

PS - You can test the drivers without actually restoring. Just see if the restore CD can connect to get infomation on the backups stored on the server.
    Of coarse testing only being abled to connect is no garantee that the actual restore wil not fail on other issues concerning network connectivity.
    No home server like Home Server
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:49 PM