WHS Hard Drive Limits RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have my Windows Home Sever running with 3 TB of usable space (2x1tb, 2x500gb, 1x250gb).

What types of limits are there on windows home server to the a) number of hard drives connected, and b) total available space.

I realize there is a limit of physical hard drive connections. I am looking to greatly increase the amount of space i have available, and I am worried I mit hit a limit and have to start over. I have a very large collection of movies (mostly HD) and with each blu-ray disk taking up about 40gb of hard drive space, it is getting full quick. I am wanting to buy 8 more tb drives (or possibly 1.5 tb drives) and add them to the pool, but I am starting to worry about the limits.

Thanks,

Eric (elbweb@gmail.com)
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:30 PM

Answers

• Per the WHS team, there are no hard limits on the number of drives or total space in the storage pool. I understand the team has seen 20+ drives connected. I don't know what the largest storage pool is, in GB or TB.  WHS uses MBR style partition tables, so an individual volume is limited to (slightly less than) 2 TB.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    the limits are mainly not set by WHS (besides that a volume cannot be larger than 2 TB), but by the mass storage controller(s) and their drivers.
    Also the amount of memory could count in, the more disks, the more memory makes sense for efficient caching.
    And a necessary recovery may become a real unpleasant task, should a server reinstall fail ...
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Per the WHS team, there are no hard limits on the number of drives or total space in the storage pool. I understand the team has seen 20+ drives connected. I don't know what the largest storage pool is, in GB or TB.  WHS uses MBR style partition tables, so an individual volume is limited to (slightly less than) 2 TB.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Well I am planning on having everything redundant if possible, obviously I should have the hard drive space to do so.

What amounts of memory would you imagine i would need? I currently have 2gb in the server, and it doesn't have a lot of activity, just a lot of data.

When you mention the mass storage controllers, and thier limits, these would be the individual sata controller limits, would there be any realistic times that this would matter?

Thank you both for your quick answers. I am very interested in being able to have one machine with all of my terebytes of data, but I am also worried about the impending failure and what would happen.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:13 PM
  • Friday, October 10, 2008 4:11 PM
  • 2gb it's more then enough ram in my opinion.  How many hard drives you can put in WHS depends on your hardware not WHS.  How many sata/ide plugs do you have, PCI slots for expansions, Power supply, etc.  I have seven drives connected currently and have had 10 in the past. 
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 3.15 tbs.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:22 AM