DHCP for Windows Home Server (DHCP4WHS) RRS feed

• General discussion

• If you're like me... you love DHCP but want more control than your average home router provides and don’t want or need the complexity of the DHCP server provided by Windows Server. My solution? Building my own DHCP server and making a simple front end for the Windows Home Server Console.

I present DHCP for Windows Home Server (aka DHCP4WHS).

Screenshots:

What does it do? Just a couple of things really:

• Allows you to manage existing DHCP leases
    • Create new DHCP reservations based on:
      • Existing leases
      • Computers associated with your Windows Home Server, and
      • From scratch

Not much sure... but a heck of a lot easier than reprogramming ones home router or dealing with the Microsoft server.

I've got a few cosmetic changes to make and perhaps a minor structural one or two before submitting it to the

Code2Fame challenge... in the mean time, anyone brave enough to give my code a try and offer some feedback?

Download here.

Edit: 8/29/2007. The download link now points to the latest build (0.8.4) which was submitted to the Code2Fame Challenge and contains a few UI and backend fixes.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:05 AM

All replies

•  

is it me or is this thing not working..

I first stopped the dhcp server that windows gave me.

Then i installed and runned this thing and my computers arent getting any ip anymore..

when i start the dhcp server thats shipped with windows it is giving ip's again and i see the clinets in the WHS tab but i tought thats not the way it supposed to work?

EDIT:

Ok never mind after i rebooted my home server it works Smile

but still the lease time isnt correct... i setted it to 7 days and when i look at the leases time i see that its only for 1 minute...

For the rest great addon now i dont have to login to my home server to configurate it but that was easy too Smile

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:03 AM
  •  

Can you add an optional WINS server field to be assigned as well?

This would be useful for those of us who use site-to-site IPSEC vpn's at routers to create a "bridge" between say, office and home, or home to home. 

Example: Using Clarkconnect boxes to IPSEC vpn to each other to create a WAN between myself and a friend of mine. In order for name resolution to work properly across a WAN, it's a good thing to have WINS servers configured to sync between sites. Then you can see machines across the WAN in net neighborhood.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Thanks for giving it a try and your comments, I should have a new build up this evening (US time) with a couple UI and stability improvements.

Dennis:

With that 1 minute lease... are you still seeing it when you re-click the Leases button?

Internally a much shorter lease is used at the beginning (which is extended to full length only after the client accepts the lease).

Any chance you just misread the date? Horrible question I know but I’m at a loss as to how else you might be seeing just a minute. What does the client say for when its lease expires? A week or a minute?

Weezu:

I think WINS is something I can add for you... although probably not today. Any other items you might think/find useful?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:45 PM
  • Did you write the DHCP server or are you just providing a front end for the built in DHCP service?

Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:17 AM
  • I wrote the underlying DHCP server.

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Brendan,   Very cool program.    One suggested change would be to allow it to assign reservations outside of the configured range.   So, for instance,  my  lease range is  x.x.x.100-120, and that is used for various computers on the network where i really don't care what the IP address is.    For devices that I do care to know what the IP is (things that are managed by web interface like printers, wireless APs etc), I put them in x.x.x.10-20 and reserve a specific IP for them.

thanks again for a cool program!
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 8:01 PM
  •  Nasty64 wrote:
    Brendan,   Very cool program.    One suggested change would be to allow it to assign reservations outside of the configured range.   So, for instance,  my  lease range is  x.x.x.100-120, and that is used for various computers on the network where i really don't care what the IP address is.    For devices that I do care to know what the IP is (things that are managed by web interface like printers, wireless APs etc), I put them in x.x.x.10-20 and reserve a specific IP for them.

thanks again for a cool program!

That is not how DHCP normally works. Reservations are part of the range (or scope) but they are reserved for specific devices.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:44 AM
  •  Nasty64 wrote:
    One suggested change would be to allow it to assign reservations outside of the configured range.

In order to do what you are looking for (on any DHCP server) Nasty you'd need to create two separate scopes and then add reservations for all of the devices you want in one and default to the other scope for new requests... currently the backend of my server supports that kind of operation, however it's not something I'm likely to expose in a WHS version of it... down the road (when I cannot say) I am planning at least one, possibly two more versions of my DHCP server that adds more user accessible features to the mix.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:26 PM
  • Thanks for getting back to me on this Brendan.
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 3:46 PM
  • How do I download DCHP4WHS?Thanks^_^

Friday, November 9, 2007 9:00 AM
  • Andy, you follow the "Download here" link in the original post...
    Friday, November 9, 2007 12:19 PM
  • Dear Brendan and all readers,

i have a problem, using dhcp4whs.

The Service "DHCP for Windows Home Server" doesnt start up. It breaks with a Net-Runtime-Error.
    Also, if i use the dhcp4whs-AddIn - the console close after most actions. If i add a reservation and click "next", the console close completely.

I've reinstalled Windows Home Server today, but the same error appear.

Now i have no idea, where the problem is.

Do you have any Instructions for me?

The Net-Errorcode is: 5000

The Errordetail look like this: "EventType clr20r3, P1 dhcp4whs.exe, P2 0.8.4.0, P3 46ccdef7, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 461eee3d, P7 520a, P8 61, P9 n51cffzwz1gffvslvrub5uxq1gvd0txu, P10 NIL."

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english

Steffen

Friday, November 9, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Is the service breaking right off the bat?

I don't have any immediate thoughts on why it's breaking in the way it is... to try to gather some more information though, could I get you to open up dhcp4whs.exe.config and change the value of ServerTraceSwitch from 0 to... 1 and then rerun the service again?

Dhcp4WhsLog.txt will be created in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ and will hopefully give some info... however given this type of error, it may be empty or worse, non-existent.

As for the Home Server Console disappearing on you... it does some silent logging... after you break it, jump into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\ and find the newest file that matches this pattern: HomeServerConsole.*.log for info on what brought down the Console.

If you could take both of these files and paste them here or email them to me (address is on my profile), I'd be much appreciative.

I'm hoping to have a new build of DHCP4WHS out in the next couple of weeks and while I can't guarantee that it will fix your issues... it should at least help us get a better idea as to what is keeping you from running this build (which lacks some metric logging I'm afraid).

Sunday, November 11, 2007 11:11 PM
  • One thing I would like to see in it, is an easy way to edit already existing reservations.  I am one of those people who constantly change things (and make mistakes) and small change would help me greatly.
    Monday, November 12, 2007 6:43 PM
  • maybe I'm dumb, but i have two questions.  How do you setup your home network to start getting ips from the server instead of your router? I have a router connected to my dsl modem, then my desktop and 4 other computers including the home server machine. connected to the router, which is currently acting like a DHCP server.  How do I make it so they get their IPs from the server instead of the router?

Also, I installed the DHCP server for WHS, and when i try to uninstall it, it says error and won't uninstall...any ideas?

Thanks!

Friday, November 16, 2007 11:30 AM
  • Evan, you will need to turn off the DHCP server in your router. Something that you should watch out for is that some broadband routers (not many, and I can't give specific models because it's often firmware dependent) will also turn off NAT when you turn off the DHCP server. This should be documented in your router's manual.

Once the DHCP server in your router is turned off, your WHS should take up the slack.

As an alternative you may want to leave DHCP on in your router, but tell it to serve addresses from a limited pool. Then set your WHS to serve addresses from a different pool. That way your router will normally serve addresses, but if it should crash for some reason, your WHS can take up the slack and your internal network will remain healthy. For example:
    • Your router is configured as your gateway, with a static internal IP address of 192.168.1.1.
    • Your WHS is configured with a static IP address of 192.168.1.10.
    • Your router serves addresses in the range 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.70.
    • Your WHS serves addresses in the range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149.
    • xxx.xxx.xxx.2 though .19, .71 through .99, and .150 and up are reserved for static addressing.
    • Subnet mask, gateway, and DNS settings should be the same.
    This is about as close to a failover configuration as you'll get with typical DHCP servers, and it assumes that you have NetBIOS name resolution properly sorted out. You should read more about DHCP, as there are some advanced options that many routers support.
    Friday, November 16, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Dear Brendan,

thanks a lot for your reply.

After change the value "ServerTraceSwitch" to 1 an start the dhcp4whs-Service, no logfile namend "dhcp2whslog.txt" was created. After restart the whole system, this file is missing too.

The log, after console-crash look like this:

Code Block

Created at 19.11.2007 15:50:00
    ***** Started at 19.11.2007 15:50:00 ***
    ***** Started at 19.11.2007 15:50:00 ***
    [4]071119.155002.2500: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [4]071119.155002.2500: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [6]071119.155002.2500: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [4]071119.155005.2500: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [4]071119.155005.2500: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]071119.155007.5156: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]071119.155007.5156: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [9]071119.155012.2500: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]071119.155015.0156: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [15]071119.155033.2500: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [1]071119.155152.2812: Error: Exception thrown
    System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Manche oder alle Identitätsverweise konnten nicht übersetzt werden.
       bei System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess)
       bei System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType)
       bei System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.ModifyAccess(AccessControlModification modification, AccessRule rule, Boolean& modified)
       bei System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.AddAccessRule(AccessRule rule)
       bei BrendanGrant.Net.Dhcp.DhcpScope.GetWaitHandle(String name)
       bei BrendanGrant.Net.Dhcp.DhcpScope.RaiseReservationReload()
       bei BrendanGrant.Net.Dhcp.DhcpViewer.AddReservationWizard.nextButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.PerformClick()
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessDialogKey(Keys keyData)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessDialogKey(Keys keyData)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.ProcessDialogKey(Keys keyData)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control target, Message& msg)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FPreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
       bei BrendanGrant.Net.Dhcp.DhcpViewer.DhcpConsoleViewer.addConsoleToolBarButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
       bei Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.ConsoleToolBar.WndProc(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
       bei Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsole.MainForm.Main(String[] args)
    Sender: Name:HomeServerConsole.exe
    Keine Kontextrichtlinien vorhanden.

thanks a lot for any help.

Steffen

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:58 PM
  • The thing I see missing that I think should be somewhat "simple" but don't get too mad at me for saying so is DHCP reservation.  For example, let's say I have range x.y.z.100-120 but I have a wireless\lan printer setup to use .101.  I could setup a static IP and manage it outside the scope but pretty soon it gets pretty unbearable.  I would love to be able to say use this IP address matching this MAC address to ensure that the IP address doesn't change...

This could be also helpful for WSS and\or IIS websites hosted on WHS (mindful that EULA might be broke here)

-Chris

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:33 AM
  • Even,

I trust you are trying to remove the add-in via the normal Settings -> Add-ins -> Installed route? Do you still get a failure if you reboot your WHS (just in case)?

Steffen,

Thanks so much for that stack trace... a quick look at the source code tells me that the server is shutting down immediately for the same reason the Home Server Console crashes... because I'm a putz that made an assumption about localization and was wrong. I will make sure for the next build I am not making such an assumption of looking for an English named permission/user group.

Chris,

I'm confused. DHCP4WHS already supports reservations. In order to keep .101 from being handed out to any other client you could either create a reservation with the printer's mac address and let it serve up the IP info to it... or leave the printer with a statically assigned IP address and create a dummy reservation with a mac address that does not exist on your network so that it will never be handed out to any client.

Is that 2nd option a little closer to what you are looking for? Perhaps an ability to specify an exclusion range (or single address) within a range of addresses to be managed?

Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:32 PM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:

That is not how DHCP normally works. Reservations are part of the range (or scope) but they are reserved for specific devices.

Love this plugin, much happiness I point to you

On a side note, MS DHCP you can assing any IP to a reservation, an I can see no reason to have to assign it one only from you pool
    I personally use it all the time for my clients (SBS server or Windows 2003, generally)

I assign a 100-200 range to clients (pc/laptops/etc)
    1-20 to devices (wireless, printers, scanner, etc)

Means I keep the scope clean with clients only and everything else is in a number range where i know where it is, also the devices get the benifet of getting the dhcp options (asimung they can use them) and my clients can use dns/wins rather than an ip to connect to a device
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 1:54 AM
  •  

For anybody ineterested in doing more with DHCP for any version of Windows, I've created a c# DHCP server implementation with source code available: http://www.codeplex.com/windhcp/

Probably not as pretty looking as dhcp4whs, but it gets the job done.

-Paul

Sunday, December 9, 2007 2:02 AM
  • Or you can just install the DHCP Server that comes with WHS (W2K3 Server).  I did that and then added a link to it through the 'Run Application' add-in for the WHS Console.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 4:59 PM
  • Black V:

You raise a good point.

The major reason I require a reservation to be within the specified scope is to keep a user from accidently specifying an address outside of their supported network range.

Even still... I think I’ll add a “Allow reservations outside of scope” option to my features wish list.

Paul:

Thanks for the spam.

Jlohrenz:

While technically possible on a Windows Home Server, doing so is almost certainly a violation of the EULA which prohibits installing or enabling any of the server components not already installed/enabled.

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Understandable...but it is an installable option off of the Windows Home Server install DVD.  Other features are disabled and cannot be installed, but some features can be.

Granted I am more technical and use a bit more than an average home user.

DHCP4WHS is a great add-in, but for some reason I had a number of devices that would not grab an IP from it, although they will from the Windows DHCP, or router DHCP.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 9:39 PM
  •  Brendan Grant wrote:

While technically possible on a Windows Home Server, doing so is almost certainly a violation of the EULA which prohibits installing or enabling any of the server components not already installed/enabled.

The EULA doesn't prohibit installing components, it only prohibits adding server roles. In fact the ALP for WHS has the following statement:

COMPANY’s license for this Licensed Product excludes

• network infrastructure services. That is, COMPANY may not use any functions of the Licensed Product necessary to support a server network infrastructure. For example, COMPANY may not use Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS), Domain Name System (DNS) Server, or Windows Internet Name Service (WINS). COMPANY may, however, use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) functions.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:03 PM
  • I tried this plug-in again last night and I'm wondering if it will only dish out IP's for PC's?  I have two networked Tivo's and two networked Printers and they can't get an IP from this plug in.  However if I install and configure the built in DHCP server through Windows it assigns them just fine.

Any suggestions?

I'd love to use this plug-in if this could get worked out.  Your interface is nice and streamlined compared to having to remote into the server to get to the admin tool for WIndow's DHCP.
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 3:28 PM
  • In theory it should be able to serve up addresses to non PC devices... unfortunately my 360 is the only non-PC device I've been able to test with... to help troubleshoot this, could I get you to use Wireshark to capture the request and response(s) from your Tivo's and printers?
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:29 AM
  •  

I can definately do that.  What settings do you use with wireshark as I have not used it in ages.  I don't have time now, but I'll be able to do this on Friday.  Shoot me an e-mail at jlohrenz at goait dot com
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:01 AM
  • I'll try to grab a wireshark capture today as well.

This is my second go at getting DHCP4WHS to work for me. I previously tried on WHS RC and had to go back to Windows DHCP for the same reason mentioned above: several devices just wouldn't grab an IP address (Wii, Audiotron, TiVo).

Now that I'm on WHS OEM I'm seeing the same behavior with DHCP4WHS. What's interesting is that DHCP4WHS is seeing the DHCP requests and adding the client to the list of leases, but the clients never actually "implement" the lease.

We can take this outside of the forum if you'd like, email me at sock AT wideopenwest DOT com.
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 9:17 AM
  • Brendan,

I've emailed you two WireShark captures and a screenshot. Posting here in case the email (I pulled from your Connect profile) isn't valid.

Josh
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:17 AM
  • One other thing...

It looks like my two PCs that I have created reservations for don't get a DNS server setting when they get their leases.
    This doesn't appear to be an issue with non-reserved leases.
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 2:53 PM
  • Can’t get DHCP4WHS to work with Brother MFC7820N.  Will not get IP address.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 8:36 PM
  • I have noticed that DHCP4WHS service dies, something to do with .net framework.  I've had to set the service to manual restart every time just so it will keep on functioning.   That, and to edit a reservation, you have to delete it and recreate it, there is no easy way to just edit it, andit would be nice to be able to do that.  Other than that, I love DHCP4WHS.  Works great, and I won't go without it installed.
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:28 PM
  • LJS:

Thanks for the info, a couple of other devices including the Nintendo Wii and some IP Cameras have been identified as not getting IP information from DHCP4WHS and I am attempting to understand why that is and what I can do to change that.

Drashna:

Editing of a reservation is definitely on my to-do list for a later version of DHCP4WHS.

As for the service going down... any chance there is some useful info in the event log? If not, take a look at this post for some info on how to enable DHCP4WHS’ internal logging which *may* give us a bit more info.

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:49 AM
  • So does this DHCP server not work with the Wii?  What about the Xbox 360?  If those two devices do not work I will not want to be using this DHCP server.

Thanks

Also how do install this addin?  I have never done one, I just got my WHS yesterday and am still trying to get it all configured.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:40 PM
  • As yet it does not work with the Wii and I've yet to be able to acquire one to test with… the 360 though does work fine with it.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Devices I cannot get to work with DHCP4WHS:

PS3
    Brother MFC 8840DN
    Samsung Color MFC
    Linksys WAP
    Netgear WAP
    IPOD Touch
    Netgear 301 Wireless USB Adapter
    Linksys Wired USB Ethernet Adapter

What does work with DHCP4WHS:

All Desktop PC's
    All Laptop PC's
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:51 PM
  • I'm so stupid I can't figure out how to bring up the GUI.  I've looked in the install folder.  I've run the exe there but that appears to be something to start the service.  The service is installed and I can start that.  I also checked the control panel.

Sorry for the complete brain lock here.  Where's the GUI?  Do I need to reboot to see it?  I'm just loading this quick to take a look so it's on my desktop PC that I don't want to reboot right now.

Curt

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:41 PM
  •  

I've been using DHCP4WHS for a little while and one feature that I'd love to see is the ability to add your own DHCP options.  For instance I need option 150 (TFTP Server) to boot my IP phones but I have to use the DHCP server on my router to do that.  Any chance you could add this feature?  Not Option 150 but the ability to add what ever options you want (i.e a form specifying the option number and the option result, whether FQDN, IP Address, whatever).

Cheers,

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:41 PM
  • G'day,

I have installed the addin as a trial. Everything went O.K., but I have uninstalled it now.

The ISSUE.

My WHS now looses it's ipaddress after the lease expires and won't renew it.

I have tried the following:

- Manually set the ip address (works obviously) and then reboot and revert to "obtain ip address automatically", then reboot.

Any idea's apart from a reinstall

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:23 AM
  • My sincere apologies for not monitoring this thread as often as I should, the new bosses are keeping me plenty busy Smile

Jlohrenz:
    Thanks for the list.

Crazyst:
    The Gui is loaded in the Home Server Console with both a main tab and a settings tab.

Rykaro:
    The backend supports a fair number of options... unfortunately today there is no way to configure more than what the settings page gives you as I was trying to keep things simple (granted the settings page is a bit complicated itself).
    That might change in a future release though.

bucket23:
    As a general rule of thumb a DHCP server should either have a static IP address or get it’s ip address from a higher DHCP authority and not just pick on up from it’s own pool... like a router, having it's IP address dance around can cause issues.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Excellent job, but moving forward as already stated WINS is really the way to go.  In a home network just about any router off the shelf does the DHCP function now a days but WINS is not supported and makes life much easier for a home network based on Microsoft.  The added functionality in the DHCP add in coupled with WINS for netbios name resolution would absolutely ROCK !!  Keep up the good work and I'll be watching for that WINS add in Wink

Dave

Saturday, June 7, 2008 6:24 PM
  •  

How about adding a field to enter the WINS server address ??
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:03 AM
  • Gave this a try and I must be missing something pretty basic. I can see the other computers on the network and can get out on the web from the server. But the issue I have is I can not get out on the web from my other computers, but I can see the server. I am able to transfer files back and forth between the server and the other computers. I have turned off the DHCP service in my router and I can see where the server is assigning addresses to my other computers, but again I can't get out on to the web. As soon as I turn on the routers DHCP service and restart the computers then it is fine.

Thanks and great work,

Mark

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Sounds like the router isn't NAT'ing the addresses the server is giving out.  do you have the server handing out addresses that are within the NAT range on the router ?? doesnt sounds like it right off.

d-

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Does your program also serve as the local LAN authenicator as well?  I'd like to prevent anyone from getting onto my home LAN (neighbor kids) so is that possible.

BLP

Sunday, June 29, 2008 4:00 PM
  • I installed DHCP4whs a couple of week ago as I needed to give a static address to my network printer. I disabled the DHCP server on my router and installation was straight forward. It worked perfectly.  As a bonus I discovered that my server had reduced the frequency it woke from Sleep (S3). I was absoultly delighted.

Then Power Pack 1 (RTM)  was released. I uninstalled the beta version and installed RTM without a problem. DHCP4WHS still works fine, but now once again my server is frequently waking from S3 (every 30mins).

I know this is not a DHCP4WHS problem but I was woundering whether I should I uninstall DHCP4WHS and do reinstallation, or does anyone have a better suggestion.

Thanks

NB since placing this post I tracked dow the problem to 'Child Protection 2008' which since either WHS update, or routine Vista updates, now appears to have compatibility issues.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:27 PM
  • Hi Brendan

If the WHS has two network adapters installed, which adapter will the DHCP4WHS use or can it be configured to use one of the two?

Reason I ask, I want the first adapter to be connected to a router and the second to service the client PC's (as with SBS 2003).

Thanks
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:12 AM
  • IlarioDimasi said:

... Reason I ask, I want the first adapter to be connected to a router and the second to service the client PC's (as with SBS 2003).

Windows Home Server doesn't support a multi-homed configuration.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:05 PM
  •  Unfortunately no Ilario, at present the DHCP server will listen on all connected interfaces and will respond to DHCP requests on them.
    Now an enthusiast on the inside
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:53 AM
  • I'm having an issue getting my DNS setting to remain on the config page. I add it, click ok, and then close the config page. I then re-open it and it's still there. Now when I close the console and the re-open it to the config page, it's gone. Any help with this would be appreciated. It's keeping the computers on my network from getting out to the tubes. :p  They all get ip's just fine, but no DNS info.  Thanx in advance.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:57 PM
  • I'm having an issue getting my DNS setting to remain on the config page. I add it, click ok, and then close the config page. I then re-open it and it's still there. Now when I close the console and the re-open it to the config page, it's gone. Any help with this would be appreciated. It's keeping the computers on my network from getting out to the tubes. :p  They all get ip's just fine, but no DNS info.  Thanx in advance.

I too am having this issue..

After a bit of digging in the registry, i can see the options for scope, start ip, end ip, subnet etc  but not one for DNS.

So perhaps it is not writting this value to the registry....  inturn it is not therefore sending this out to the clients... manually setting the DNS will work, but for other devices, which dont have options for manually setting this value, this wont apply. 

Was rather upset when my BTvision box wouldn't boot because it couldn't get an internet connection lol.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:09 AM
  • Update:

Searching our favourite search engine, i noticed that if you don't have both DNS fields entered, it doesn't seem to retail the settings.

As i am using DNS on my WHS box too, i just added an open DNS ip in the secondary DNS field.

All seems to be working properly.

^^^ ref to wii not getting assigned ip, i have a wii hooked up to my LAN via wireless, and it is recieving ip addresses fine.

P.S BTVision Box is happy now too.... lol
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Interesting. I'll give that a try once I get home. Thanks for the info!
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:45 PM
  • I have been reading through this thread for the two years that it has been running.  I see no statement from the author whether WINS will be supported.  I also see no statements whether any of the device incompatibilities have been resolved.  Please advise.

The most useful thing I have gained from this thread is confirmation that I can install and use the Windows naitive WINS and DHCP server components without breaking my WHS.

What is the advantage of installing DHCP4WHS when (most) wireless Internet routers are so easy to manage?  The ONLY reason I investigated this product was the hope that it would provide DHCP and WINS, which it apparently does not.  I could have installed and configured the Windows naitive components in the time it has taken me to read about this tool. 
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:49 AM
  • The most useful thing I have gained from this thread (and this tool) is confirmation that I can install and use the Windows naitive WINS and DHCP server components without breaking my WHS.

I wish to redact this bold statement.  Although there has been an attestation by Jason Lohrenz in this thread that the native Windows Server 2003 DHCP server works with Windows Home Server, my trials have proved otherwise.  I was wrong as ____ when I indicated that the built-in components were not time comsuming.  After testing for hours, I came to the conclusion that the native DHCP server is not functional.

Even Ken Warren, one of our most esteemed moderators, admits to using a separate dedicated platform for hosting DHCP and WINS services, and has forgone using the built-in service components.

I will provide links to other threads that illustrate that point.  Any debates on that subject belong there, not here.
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/1e1dc274-3992-418f-9d3b-77c7b52c5ee0

Going forward, I wish to state my sincere support for the success of this add-in.  I only wish that it would include a WINS component, or allow entry of a WINS address for a separate WINS component.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:40 PM
    Even Ken Warren, one of our most esteemed moderators, admits to using a separate dedicated platform for hosting DHCP and WINS services.
    I do so for two (very simple) reasons.
    1. I had that solution in place long before Windows Home Server came around.
    2. Anything you do in a remote desktop session on your server is unsupported, and almost all of it is unneccessary. In the present case, WINS solves a few issues in more complex networks, but it's a deprecated technology and most home users don't need it anyway.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Hi Brendan.  Great product, however I cannot get it to keep running.  I have a clean install of Home Server and then run the dhcp server, configure it, start it.  Then I try to use it on my network and it doesn't work so I go back to the server and the service is stopped.  I start it, try again, same thing.  I even tried rebooting.  I went into the admin services controls and set the service to automatic and started it there, same results.  Any ideas?
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:57 AM
  • Brendan,

I have been using this add-in for some time on my home server and LOVE it!   I am looking to move to the beta of Vail soon and was wondering if you know if this add-in will work in Vail or if there will be an update since it is running 64 bit?

Thanks for the great job!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:27 PM