Creating partitions -- how RRS feed

• Question

• My Hp Win7 disk (out of a new 64 bit Pavilion) has 4 partitions that WHS has dutifully backed up.

It came with 3 and I added an extra for data.

I want to restore to a new drive and WHS seems to wants me to create the partitions on the new drive before it will restore them.

Although I can create partitions with Disk Manager ...  how can I possible create the system, factory Image so the drive will be a clone and boot like the original?

I've tried and of course the new drive wont even come close to booting.

I was expecting to see a 'Clone' the whole drive  (something Ghost and others have had for many years).

I put the new drive into another machine and ran the 'ClientRestoreWizard'  it was the same ... no option to restore the complete drive.

Am I expecting too much for WHS?

Friday, July 16, 2010 5:18 PM

All replies

• My Hp Win7 disk (out of a new 64 bit Pavilion) has 4 partitions that WHS has dutifully backed up.

It came with 3 and I added an extra for data.

I want to restore to a new drive and WHS seems to wants me to create the partitions on the new drive before it will restore them.

Although I can create partitions with Disk Manager ...  how can I possible create the system, factory Image so the drive will be a clone and boot like the original? 

You don't create images.  You backup data.  When you do a restore, you need to restore all of the partitions.  Once you do that, it should boot. 

I've tried and of course the new drive wont even come close to booting.

I was expecting to see a 'Clone' the whole drive  (something Ghost and others have had for many years).

I put the new drive into another machine and ran the 'ClientRestoreWizard'  it was the same ... no option to restore the complete drive. 

Correct, there is no restore complete drive option.  You have to restore all of the partitions (in your case, 4). 
    Am I expecting too much for WHS?

Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:07 AM