SQL DB with MS Access automatic sync RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all I am fairly new to this concept. Before I can read more about this, I would like to know if this is something doable with the Sync framework. I have a SQL database on a webserver and would like to sync it (automatic or on-demand) a MS Access DB on multiple local PCs. The data in SQL DB will be constantly (live) updated with timestamps every 5-minutes. I would like to use the sync technology to just append the data on the local hard drive. Thanks
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:22 PM

Answers

• We dont have out of box support for Access database on the client side. You would either need to write a custom provider yourself or the other option you have is to migrate the access data to a SQL Server (using upsizing wizard) or maybe to a SQL Compact database and then use out of box providers to do the sync.
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Kelley Friday, January 8, 2010 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:11 PM

All replies

• Related thread on similar question:

Custom client Syncronization provider for MS access

I will also try to get more info and respond back.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:37 PM
  • We dont have out of box support for Access database on the client side. You would either need to write a custom provider yourself or the other option you have is to migrate the access data to a SQL Server (using upsizing wizard) or maybe to a SQL Compact database and then use out of box providers to do the sync.
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Kelley Friday, January 8, 2010 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Another thing you might want to think about is writing a simple custom provider.  With SyncFx v2, we have created the ability to very quickly write your own providers for stores that do not have providers that ship in the box.  Take a look at the following link for more details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd937537(SQL.105).aspx

Regards,

Sean Kelley
    Senior Program Manager
    Microsoft
    Friday, January 8, 2010 1:23 AM