Need help chosing certification path RRS feed

• Question

• Basically i love all the Microsoft products. I would like to do Certification in microsoft. But i m totally confused browsing all the sites. Each site is saying different things. Can u help me. What certification should i choose?

And also Microsoft certification requires experience(mentioned in microsoft website). I m just out of college. What should i do know? Please help

• Edited by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:29 AM Updated title to make it more descriptive
    Monday, July 30, 2012 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi MaximeFortier,

Thanks for the heads-up on this excellent resource, the TechNet Virtual Labs. Until you mentioned it, I didn't even know these labs existed.

I just started a Windows 7 deployment virtual lab which I'm enjoying immensely, and I've bookmarked the website in my browser. I'll be coming back to these labs quite often.

Thank you for sharing this most useful resource with us.

BTW, I just voted your post as helpful. That's 5 more points for you. :-)

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:05 AM

All replies

•  What certification should i choose?

First of all: MCSA (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate)
    Monday, July 30, 2012 11:11 AM
  • Do you want to be a developer (Visual Studio, Windows Phone, Sharepoint ir Silverlight), IT Pro (Windows Client, WIndows Server, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Office Project Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SharePoint Server or Microsoft Lync Server) or Microsoft Office?

Developer: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx

IT Pro: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx

Microsoft Office: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mos.aspx

What did you study in college? Do you have a degree? If so, have a look at Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mta.aspx

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, July 30, 2012 11:30 AM
  • As far as experience goes...if you can't find any kind of entry level work or volunteer work to get you started, then I would suggest creating your own labs at home. If you have a decent enough computer (or a spare) you can download trial versions of just about all of Microsoft's programs. I believe they're good for about 90 days. You can run it in a virtual environment for more flexibility. Google free virtual machine to find software. There are several good ones out there, just make sure you read up on reviews before downloading and installing.

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:06 PM
  • You may also leverage the Microsoft TechNet Virtual Labs. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb467605.aspx

They are free and very useful. 

Hope this helps, and if it does, feel free to "Vote as Helpful" :)  

Max

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Hi MaximeFortier,

Thanks for the heads-up on this excellent resource, the TechNet Virtual Labs. Until you mentioned it, I didn't even know these labs existed.

I just started a Windows 7 deployment virtual lab which I'm enjoying immensely, and I've bookmarked the website in my browser. I'll be coming back to these labs quite often.

Thank you for sharing this most useful resource with us.

BTW, I just voted your post as helpful. That's 5 more points for you. :-)

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:05 AM
  • Thank you very much James. Those Virtual Labs are amazing.They save lots of time when you need to test new features or prepare for an exam. 

Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:20 PM
  • First things first, you need to decide what area you want to be working in.  For instance I know that I want to get into messaging and unified comms, so i know that i need to be working towards exchange and lync (once I get some basic server quals first).

The people that have told you a certain qualification to get are not helping you.

Answer the following questions

1, What area of IT to you feel you are strongest at?

2, What area of IT excites you the most?

When you have answered those 2 questions then its time to decide what route is best for you.

I wish you all the best in getting certified.

Mark Railton, MCTS, MCP

• Proposed as answer by Mark S. R. Railton Friday, August 3, 2012 12:48 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, August 3, 2012 12:48 PM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Hi yuvarajms,

Has you r question been answered?

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, August 17, 2012 2:00 AM