Adding A New Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 drives installed right now, 500 GB system drive and a 1 TB data drive.  I have another 500 GB drive laying around and would like to add it.  As I searched this board, I've read that the system drive should be the largest, correct?  Adding the 3rd drive is the easy part, but I have some questions:

Should the largest drive be the system drive?
    How do I reconfigure the 1 TB drive to be the system drive?
    Are there add-ins that can help this process?
    Isn't there also an add in that can "balance" the drives?
    Is it not worth changing the system drive to a larger one?
    Do I not need to worry about "balancing"?

Thanks for any help,
    Jamie

Friday, November 27, 2009 9:33 PM

All replies

• It's not important that the system drive be the largest. The recommendation when Windows Home Server was introduced was that the system drive should be the largest at installation time, because that pretty much guaranteed that it would be "large enough". There have been changes in how Windows Home Server manages storage since then, however, and it's no longer particularly critical.

So install your additional 500 GB drive, add it to the storage pool, and don't worry about it. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 27, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Thanks Ken, That's what I'm going to do.
    Now that the WHS will have 3 drives, does DE move the files around so that the OS is on 1 drive and the duplicated data uses the other 2 drives?
    Thanks again
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Windows Home Server will not rearrange the locations of files just because you add a drive to the storage pool, unless all your drives were already effectively full. if it did, your drives would be constantly thrashing as files were added, removed, and modified, because Windows Home Server would repeatedly move files around in response.

However, with multiple drives and duplication turned on for all shares, your data is protected against the loss of a single drive, no matter what single drive is lost.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Doesn't the Drive Extender Technical Breif state the advantages of using 3 drives over 2 drives?  If so, what are the pro's of 3 drives over 2 drives?  Sure I could read the 25 page "Breif" but maybe you already know this information?
    Thanks again for your help,
    Jamie

Saturday, November 28, 2009 2:57 AM
  • You should read the Drive Extender technical brief. I'm not going to summarize it for you. Or rather, I have summarized it repeatedly. :)

That said, if you're starting from scratch, three drives will allow Windows Home Server to keep files off of your system drive until the other drives in your server are close to full.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:35 AM
  • OH..OK Ken, sorry to bother you.  I was just wondering what the pros of 3 drives over 2 drives were. I wasn't asking for you to summerize the entire breif for me.  How did you come up with that assumption?  As stated above, all I asked was, "If so, what are the pro's of 3 drives over 2 drives?".  If your answer to someone is "...read...", then why have these forums at all?

Have a good night.
    Best regards,
    Jamie
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Reading the documentation first is usually a good idea. That way you don't ask a question that's answered in it. The point of these forums isn't to answer questions that people can answer for themselves with 5 minutes of reading, it's to help them solve problems that are beyond the scope of the documentation (and there are plenty of such issues).

And I answered your specific question...
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:33 PM