2 hard drives failed how should i recover my files RRS feed

• Question

• i have WHS running on a four drive system with critical data set for duplication.  i had one of the drives fail.  i did not remove the drive as i was waiting until my new drive arrived to do all the remove and add steps.  during this time a second drive failed.  i can still boot and access my WHS, but it shows the two drives as missing and random files from the share drives are missing (as expected).  so what is the best approach to attempt to recover as much data as possible?  should i just remove the two hard drives using the WHS remove tool and hope that i get lucky with the duplication and some number of missing files get restored? 

both of the dead drives do not show up when i try to plug them directly into my win7 desktop so i don't think i can recover what is on the dead drives unless i send them to a data recovery company.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 2:25 AM

Answers

• #1 isn't going to happen, for multiple reasons.

For #2, see this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by mrbouseman Saturday, September 29, 2012 11:33 PM
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 11:09 PM
  • You should remove the "missing" drives using the console and see what's left afterward. One thing that will very likely be lost is client computer backups; the database is huge, and there's no redundancy in it, so the loss of any component of the database guarantees the loss of at least some backups.

As for sending the disks out for recovery, you can do that, but it's expensive, and there's no guarantee that it will have a favorable result.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 2:21 PM

All replies

• You should remove the "missing" drives using the console and see what's left afterward. One thing that will very likely be lost is client computer backups; the database is huge, and there's no redundancy in it, so the loss of any component of the database guarantees the loss of at least some backups.

As for sending the disks out for recovery, you can do that, but it's expensive, and there's no guarantee that it will have a favorable result.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 2:21 PM
  • thanks.  it's what i figured, but wanted to be sure.

couple more questions. 

1. if by some luck i can get one of the drives copied by a recovery company and they put a copy of the data on a new drive, any chance the new drive would be recognized as part of the original array so WHS could access the drive.  

2. alternatively, if they recover data, i know i would be able to access the recovered data as its just a simple NTFS formatted drive, but what about the duplicated files that were placed on the drive?  are the duplicated versions accessible via windows explorer like an original, or are they compressed/encrypted and therefore not accessible unless WHS converts them to originals as part of a remove drive action.

Thanks again Ken.  i hope MS cuts you a check once and a while given how many posts you respond to and how clear and actionable your advice has been.  you've helped me many times in the past even through this is my first post.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:55 PM
  • #1 isn't going to happen, for multiple reasons.

For #2, see this FAQ.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 11:09 PM
  • You might try the product SpinRite to fix the likely bad sectors....  I think two down is a major problem.
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 2:42 AM