GoDaddy configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to set up remote access with my existing GoDaddy domain. I go through the steps from the dashboard, which sends me to Godaddy - the first time it sent me to page requiring me to buy an SSL, so I did. It then sent me to My Account within Godaddy.

If I go back through the steps, it keeps sending me to the page where I have to buy the SSL, even though I already did. I saw in another post that member suggested setting up the ssl through IIS7, so I did according to these instructions: http://community.godaddy.com/help/article/4801

The cert is installed correctly, but of course, it won't work until I point the nameservers at GoDaddy to the right place - except I don't know where to point them, and I can't get the server to do it for me. If needed, I can use OpenDNS to get a static DNS, and use that, but I wanted to know if there's another way.

Thx!

Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff:

After you have your account on GoDaddy, owning the domain name and purchased coresponding cert, you should be able to follow the native WHS 2011 domain configuration wizard, enter the user name and password and we will configure everything automatically including the certificate (please expect some delay when GoDaddy preparing the cert though).

Could you please double check this is the case? And I am also wondering which part of the design confused you to choose to goto GoDaddy website again after you already bought the cert?

Thanks.

-Feng

windows home server team
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:34 AM
  • After you have your account on GoDaddy, owning the domain name and purchased coresponding cert, you should be able to follow the native WHS 2011 domain configuration wizard, enter the user name and password and we will configure everything automatically including the certificate (please expect some delay when GoDaddy preparing the cert though).

Could you please double check this is the case? And I am also wondering which part of the design confused you to choose to goto GoDaddy website again after you already bought the cert?

(emphiasis added)

How much delay, Feng? A number of users have had problems configuring custom domains through GoDaddy; my impression is that at least some of them have waited hours.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:53 PM
  • WHS2011 with Custom Domain Name DOES NOT WORK!  I've tried multiple times/installs and have purchased GODaddy domain etc.  After hours/days of time trying ( and nobody in support anywhere that could help either) I gave up and used *.homeserver.com option which installed & worked fine.

Oh well.

Brad
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:01 PM
  • I am in the same boat here.  I keep getting sent back to GoDaddy even though I bought the cert that was presented the first time.

If I try to continue it asks for a username/pwd and if I enter my GoDaddy creds, it says they are wrong.

Some docs about what the requirements are here would be helpful (i.e. what is WHS looking for in the domain which is causing it to keep telling us to go to GoDaddy?).  I can call GoDaddy but with the minimal penetration that WHS seems to have I am not holding my breath that they will be able to help.

Glen

Monday, September 12, 2011 7:10 AM
  • I have also been trying to set up my web access using my own domain name. Per WHS2011, I've transferred my domain to Go Daddy. After getting it transferred, the web access setup kept sending me to a Go Daddy web page to purchase a Standard SSL Certificate but it would not respong to the continue button. I purchased an SSL Certificate and no change to WHS2011 web access. I went to Go Daddy and requested the certificate. I have downloaded the certificates and installed them on my whs2011 box and am still directed to the same web page. I have closed the web page and continued to the next page, entered my Go Daddy login credentials. It keeps getting and error. This has gone on for two days. I have resorted to using the *.homeserver.com option and I get through the whs2011 setup. I enter the https://domainname.homeserver.com and it times out. So for, nothing seems to work for me. Is there anyone on the whs2011 team that can help?
    Monday, September 12, 2011 10:50 PM
  • I maybe over simplifying this, but this is what I did. I setup my Windows Home Server 2011 to use the standard Microsoft Domain Name 'xxx.homeserver.com'. I verified that this was working. I then purchased a Domain Name from GoDaddy. I then went to GoDaddy and set my GoDaddy domain name to be forwarded to my xxx.homeserver.com account. It all seems to work and retains the https:// prefix (aka secured), etc. You can also choose on the GoDaddy configuration page if you want them to see the forwarded URL or the original one they entered.

Good Luck,

Dave

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:17 PM
  • has no body found an answer to this?  More than a bit disapointing that this feature of WHS 2011 doesn't work as it is supposed to...
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:12 AM
  • PD919

See my previous reply. It's simple and it works.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:01 AM
  • - Feng

Have you gotten any response to this question?  If you are still interested in working through what happens (or doesn't) with the wizard I would be happy to let you follow me through the process so you can see where it breaks down.

shoot me a reply if you would like to collaborate.

Mike Strom

Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:16 AM
  • So it turns out that manually installing the certificate from GoDaddy makes the wizard fail.

I found a helpful thread from Timotl about a single change to a registry key:

"Assuming you are using godaddy for the domain and already have a cert manually installed, all you need to do is change this registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Domain Manager\Providers\E423C85D-6B1F-4583-95E0-449D8263BAC4\UseV2CertificateSupport
    Change the DWORD to 0

Then you can go through the domain setup. This will setup the name and ddns, but will install a self-signed cert. Then just change the IIS binding back to your actual cert."

Here's the link to the full thread:  WHS 2011 RTM Domain Setup Error with existing GoDaddy SSL

I found I didn't even have to change the IIS binding back to my actual cert myself.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:03 AM