Install a new OneCare as a Renewal RRS feed

• Question

• Will a new boxed version of OneCare install ok over an existing OneCare subscription that is expiring in 3 days?

I only have 3 days left to renew OneCare or switch to something else. MS wants $49.95 just to renew my current subscription, but Costco sells the same complete new 3-PC OneCare package for $39.99.

Can I install a new boxed version over my current version as a renewal?

Thanks

Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• It is unnecessary to uninstall One Care. See this post for renewal instructions - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2908249&SiteID=2

Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:08 PM
  • This doesn't answer the question at all.

Can I install a new ($10.00 cheaper than renewing) OneCare over my existing OneCare without causing problems?

Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:33 PM
  • You cannot install One Care "over" One Care. Perhaps I don't understand the question. What I understand from reading your original post is that you have a current subscription which is about to expire and you would like to renew your subscription using the product key from a retail package. If this is correct then my original reply answers the question exactly. If I have misunderstood please clarify.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Use the product key from the new boxed version too renew your subsription on the currently installed one.

Sebastion

Monday, September 15, 2008 3:04 PM
  •  justmicros wrote:

This doesn't answer the question at all.

Can I install a new ($10.00 cheaper than renewing) OneCare over my existing OneCare without causing problems?

justmicros,

Though this has already been answered, I want to make sure you understand what's really happening here.

The key thing that you are missing is that you are not buying a copy of OneCare, instead you are buying a 1 year subscription to use OneCare on up to 3 PCs. You already have OneCare installed, so there is no need to re-install the software in any way.

All that is required is to renew the subscription, which can be done either by allowing the automatic renewal with your credit card for the current retail price from Microsoft or by purchasing an over the counter 'box' product from anywhere and simply entering the 25-digit code manually per the post that Jim referenced above.

The issue here is that you are focused on the software when what you are really buying is a service.

OneCareBear

Monday, September 15, 2008 3:34 PM