locked
Finding and reverting to a previous local profile on WHS RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    Can someone please advise me how to revert to a previous local profile.

     

    I logged onto the server one day and it said it couldnt find my local profile and proceeded (probably after I said OK) to create a new one.

     

    As  I dont logon to the server that often it has taken me a couple of weeks to realise I have lost all my customisations I had set up.

     

    Is there a way to search for the old profile and revert to it?

     

    Helen

    Friday, August 15, 2008 11:14 PM

Answers

  • I have set up some printers, the scanner and a podcast receiver on the server. I have also been organising some files in folders.

     

    The wireless connection to the server is sometimes very slow and times out when re-organising photos.

     

    Is this not appropriate - I am not that savvy with what I should do with it - I like the backup function.

     

    I set the podcast receiver to run in off peak times when sometimes the laptops are turned off.

     

    When it rebooted after an upgrade I lost my podcast receiver feed files.

     

    Helen

     

     

    Friday, August 15, 2008 11:44 PM
  • I have only ever logged on as Administrator - is the any reason I would create another user on the server? I didn't think of this till now.

     

    The way I organised the folders is that I used Windows explorer on the desktop of WHS to view the shared folders and made a whole lot of sub folders to sort my photos into directories for each month or subject - Sept 08 or Dad's birthday etc. I did this directly on the PC that WHS is installed on - mainly because I couldnt do it any other way. (apart from hard cabling the laptop to the router)

     

    Until the Service Pack was installed if I tried to do this wirelessly it would constantly fall over - now I can do it wirelessly - maybe because I am not moving so many files now or maybe the service pack fixed the wireless connection problem.

     

    Now I think of it - probably after the Service Pack installed I lost the local profile and the custom desktop.

     

    My brother is an MVP but is not as available as the newsgroups - he tells me it will break really easy - so I thought I was being conservative in using it this way.

     

    What happened was that the podcast receiver has a file where it looks for the podcasts I want to pick up - when the local profile was lost the podcast receiver lost the file with all the podcast URLs - I tried to do a search from the WHS PC but there is no search function - I presume because it is in the user profile that has been lost.

     

    Also my desktop icons for the scanner have been lost.

    BTW should use the scanner on the WHS PC?

    I am not sure how to set it up on the server and use it from the laptops.

     

    Helen

     

     

     

     

    Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:56 AM
  •  

    When you tried connecting from the laptop to the server using a wireless connection, how far away from the router are you?  Are you using A, B, G, or N?

     

    I have a Netgear DG834G which uses G - at first both laptops were XP and no matter how far away they were they would not connect to the server wirelessly and successfully allow me to transfer more than one or two files at a time. They did however back up every day. Generally one was about 3 metres (10 foot) an one about 7 metres (20 foot)

     

    Basically the console never would work wirelessly - I used to have to hard cable to the router.

     

    I upgraded the memory in my laptop and put on Vista - and the console works fine - no timing out issues with file transferring. The XP laptop still struggles to connect via the console - all other bits work fine.Since the Home Pack the closer one will eventually connect to the console.

     

    All other would work on both - you could access folders and see stuff but timing out was an issue, not so much now.

     

    Unfortunately, using the Shared Folders on Server icon on the server desktop is not the same as opening My Network Places and accessing the shares from there.  The icon on the desktop uses the correct path (\\[servername]\[sharename]).  The My Network Places does not use the correct path (D:\shares\[sharename]).  If you used the My Network Places path, you may have problems with your files down the line.

     

    Not really sure what I used - will make sure I have copies of my important stuff.

     

    No doubt the TEMP folder has a newer date than the Administrator folder?  The TEMP folder is the one you are logging into now (when you get the "cannot access local profile" message).  However, usually when you log on and get that, if you just log off then log on again with the same account (in this case Administrator), you should get the correct logon account.  Have you tried logging off, then logging on again?  If so, have you tried rebooting the server?

     

    Temp folder has date of 1 Aug 2008 - that would be when I lost the customisations

     

    Have logged off and rebooted several times since then but the old desktop has not come back.

     

    (I just went into the Administrator folder and found the Ipodder files and my podcast receiver is now restored. I copied across the .cfg file and the .db file and all is restored - I now have all the urls back that I lost.)

     

    However it has never reverted to the old desktop.

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Saturday, August 16, 2008 9:34 PM

All replies

  •  Helen Castle wrote:
    Can someone please advise me how to revert to a previous local profile.

     

    I logged onto the server one day and it said it couldnt find my local profile and proceeded (probably after I said OK) to create a new one.

     

    As  I dont logon to the server that often it has taken me a couple of weeks to realise I have lost all my customisations I had set up.

     

    Is there a way to search for the old profile and revert to it?

     

    Helen

     

    First, you shouldn't need to logon to the server desktop.  All WHS functions should be done through the WHS Console.  Having said that, usually temp profiles are just that: temporary.  Have you tried logging off from the server, then logging back on again?

    Friday, August 15, 2008 11:29 PM
    Moderator
  • I have set up some printers, the scanner and a podcast receiver on the server. I have also been organising some files in folders.

     

    The wireless connection to the server is sometimes very slow and times out when re-organising photos.

     

    Is this not appropriate - I am not that savvy with what I should do with it - I like the backup function.

     

    I set the podcast receiver to run in off peak times when sometimes the laptops are turned off.

     

    When it rebooted after an upgrade I lost my podcast receiver feed files.

     

    Helen

     

     

    Friday, August 15, 2008 11:44 PM
  •  Helen Castle wrote:
    I have set up some printers, the scanner and a podcast receiver on the server.

     

    All of that sounds ok (although I'm not sure about the podcast receiver.)

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    I have also been organising some files in folders.

     

    This, however, could be a potential problem through the server desktop (although nothing to do with your original problem).  When you were organizing the files, exactly how did you do it?  (Did you use the network share icon on the server desktop or some other method?)  How many hard drives do you have in the server?

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    The wireless connection to the server is sometimes very slow and times out when re-organising photos.

     

    Is this not appropriate - I am not that savvy with what I should do with it - I like the backup function.

     

    Well, let me put it this way:  The Logon Warning you see when you logon to the server desktop is there for a reason. Smile  WHS doesn't work like other OSes, so you need to be really careful when accessing the server desktop, as some stuff that would seem to be innocent enough can, in fact, cause you problems down the road.

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    I set the podcast receiver to run in off peak times when sometimes the laptops are turned off.

     

    When it rebooted after an upgrade I lost my podcast receiver feed files.

     

    Helen

     

    Were they saved on the server desktop?  When you logged on to the server desktop, did you use Administrator for the user name (or some other name)?

    Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:13 AM
    Moderator
  • I have only ever logged on as Administrator - is the any reason I would create another user on the server? I didn't think of this till now.

     

    The way I organised the folders is that I used Windows explorer on the desktop of WHS to view the shared folders and made a whole lot of sub folders to sort my photos into directories for each month or subject - Sept 08 or Dad's birthday etc. I did this directly on the PC that WHS is installed on - mainly because I couldnt do it any other way. (apart from hard cabling the laptop to the router)

     

    Until the Service Pack was installed if I tried to do this wirelessly it would constantly fall over - now I can do it wirelessly - maybe because I am not moving so many files now or maybe the service pack fixed the wireless connection problem.

     

    Now I think of it - probably after the Service Pack installed I lost the local profile and the custom desktop.

     

    My brother is an MVP but is not as available as the newsgroups - he tells me it will break really easy - so I thought I was being conservative in using it this way.

     

    What happened was that the podcast receiver has a file where it looks for the podcasts I want to pick up - when the local profile was lost the podcast receiver lost the file with all the podcast URLs - I tried to do a search from the WHS PC but there is no search function - I presume because it is in the user profile that has been lost.

     

    Also my desktop icons for the scanner have been lost.

    BTW should use the scanner on the WHS PC?

    I am not sure how to set it up on the server and use it from the laptops.

     

    Helen

     

     

     

     

    Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:56 AM
  •  Helen Castle wrote:
    I have only ever logged on as Administrator - is the any reason I would create another user on the server? I didn't think of this till now.

     

    No, there is no reason for it.  I just didn't know if you had done something like that.

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    The way I organised the folders is that I used Windows explorer on the desktop of WHS to view the shared folders and made a whole lot of sub folders to sort my photos into directories for each month or subject - Sept 08 or Dad's birthday etc. I did this directly on the PC that WHS is installed on - mainly because I couldnt do it any other way. (apart from hard cabling the laptop to the router)

     

    Can you be more specific?  Did you go through \\[servername]\[sharename]?  Or through D:\shares?

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    Until the Service Pack was installed if I tried to do this wirelessly it would constantly fall over - now I can do it wirelessly - maybe because I am not moving so many files now or maybe the service pack fixed the wireless connection problem.

     

    No, Power Pack 1 has nothing to do with wireless connectivity at all.

     

    Just to clarify:  when you say you did it wirelessly, did you mean you have a wireless PC (such as a laptop) and was using Remote Desktop to connect to the server desktop and move files that way?

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    Now I think of it - probably after the Service Pack installed I lost the local profile and the custom desktop.

     

    Can you logon to the server desktop and go to C:\Documents and Settings, then provide a list of the folders you see there?

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    My brother is an MVP but is not as available as the newsgroups - he tells me it will break really easy - so I thought I was being conservative in using it this way.

     

    It won't break easily as long as you use it as designed (which basically means don't logon to the server desktop for anything unless it is really necessary.)  It should be used as a file repository, not as a workstation.  (In other words, scan from your client PC, then save the image to the server.)

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    What happened was that the podcast receiver has a file where it looks for the podcasts I want to pick up - when the local profile was lost the podcast receiver lost the file with all the podcast URLs - I tried to do a search from the WHS PC but there is no search function - I presume because it is in the user profile that has been lost.

     

    Also my desktop icons for the scanner have been lost.

    BTW should use the scanner on the WHS PC?

     

    Although you might be able to get it to work, I would not recommend it.

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    I am not sure how to set it up on the server and use it from the laptops.

     

    Helen

     

    My guess is you can't.  It would really come down to the software the scanner came with and if it would support network scanning.

    Saturday, August 16, 2008 6:36 AM
    Moderator
  • Just to clarify:  when you say you did it wirelessly, did you mean you have a wireless PC (such as a laptop) and was using Remote Desktop to connect to the server desktop and move files that way?

     

    I used an old PC to install WHS - I bought a 340G drive and set it up with WHS

     

    The way I organised the folders is that I used Windows explorer on the desktop of WHS PC to view the shared folders and made a whole lot of sub folders to sort my photos into directories for each month or subject - Sept 08 or Dad's birthday etc. I did this directly on the PC that WHS is installed on - mainly because I couldnt do it any other way. (apart from hard cabling the laptop to the router)

     

    Can you be more specific?  Did you go through \\[servername]\[sharename]?  Or through D:\shares?

     

    I would have looked at the desktop and opened Shared folders and gone to Photos from there - I guess

    or Start, Explorer, My Network Places, Photos on Addison and reorganised them from there.

     

    I have 2 wireless laptops who connect to a router connected to WHS - the router is also a modem and connects to the internet.

     

    List of files

    C:\Documents and Settings

    Administrator

    All Users

    Default User

    TEMP

     

    Trouble is that the scanner sits in the office with the server and the laptops travel all around the house - will just have to plug into laptop to use.

     

    Thanks for this I appreciate it

     

    Looks like there is an extra folder under Documents and settings maybe?

     

    Helen

    Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:21 AM
  •  Helen Castle wrote:
    I used an old PC to install WHS - I bought a 340G drive and set it up with WHS

     

    OK.  I just didn't understand if you meant the server itself was using a wireless connection (which is unsupported).

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    The way I organised the folders is that I used Windows explorer on the desktop of WHS PC to view the shared folders and made a whole lot of sub folders to sort my photos into directories for each month or subject - Sept 08 or Dad's birthday etc. I did this directly on the PC that WHS is installed on - mainly because I couldnt do it any other way. (apart from hard cabling the laptop to the router)

     

    When you tried connecting from the laptop to the server using a wireless connection, how far away from the router are you?  Are you using A, B, G, or N?

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    I would have looked at the desktop and opened Shared folders and gone to Photos from there - I guess

    or Start, Explorer, My Network Places, Photos on Addison and reorganised them from there.

     

    Unfortunately, using the Shared Folders on Server icon on the server desktop is not the same as opening My Network Places and accessing the shares from there.  The icon on the desktop uses the correct path (\\[servername]\[sharename]).  The My Network Places does not use the correct path (D:\shares\[sharename]).  If you used the My Network Places path, you may have problems with your files down the line.

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    I have 2 wireless laptops who connect to a router connected to WHS - the router is also a modem and connects to the internet.

     

    List of files

    C:\Documents and Settings

    Administrator

    All Users

    Default User

    TEMP

     

    No doubt the TEMP folder has a newer date than the Administrator folder?  The TEMP folder is the one you are logging into now (when you get the "cannot access local profile" message).  However, usually when you log on and get that, if you just log off then log on again with the same account (in this case Administrator), you should get the correct logon account.  Have you tried logging off, then logging on again?  If so, have you tried rebooting the server?

     

     Helen Castle wrote:
    Trouble is that the scanner sits in the office with the server and the laptops travel all around the house - will just have to plug into laptop to use.

     

    Thanks for this I appreciate it

     

    Looks like there is an extra folder under Documents and settings maybe?

     

    Helen

     

    Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:35 PM
    Moderator
  •  

    When you tried connecting from the laptop to the server using a wireless connection, how far away from the router are you?  Are you using A, B, G, or N?

     

    I have a Netgear DG834G which uses G - at first both laptops were XP and no matter how far away they were they would not connect to the server wirelessly and successfully allow me to transfer more than one or two files at a time. They did however back up every day. Generally one was about 3 metres (10 foot) an one about 7 metres (20 foot)

     

    Basically the console never would work wirelessly - I used to have to hard cable to the router.

     

    I upgraded the memory in my laptop and put on Vista - and the console works fine - no timing out issues with file transferring. The XP laptop still struggles to connect via the console - all other bits work fine.Since the Home Pack the closer one will eventually connect to the console.

     

    All other would work on both - you could access folders and see stuff but timing out was an issue, not so much now.

     

    Unfortunately, using the Shared Folders on Server icon on the server desktop is not the same as opening My Network Places and accessing the shares from there.  The icon on the desktop uses the correct path (\\[servername]\[sharename]).  The My Network Places does not use the correct path (D:\shares\[sharename]).  If you used the My Network Places path, you may have problems with your files down the line.

     

    Not really sure what I used - will make sure I have copies of my important stuff.

     

    No doubt the TEMP folder has a newer date than the Administrator folder?  The TEMP folder is the one you are logging into now (when you get the "cannot access local profile" message).  However, usually when you log on and get that, if you just log off then log on again with the same account (in this case Administrator), you should get the correct logon account.  Have you tried logging off, then logging on again?  If so, have you tried rebooting the server?

     

    Temp folder has date of 1 Aug 2008 - that would be when I lost the customisations

     

    Have logged off and rebooted several times since then but the old desktop has not come back.

     

    (I just went into the Administrator folder and found the Ipodder files and my podcast receiver is now restored. I copied across the .cfg file and the .db file and all is restored - I now have all the urls back that I lost.)

     

    However it has never reverted to the old desktop.

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Saturday, August 16, 2008 9:34 PM