Protocol error in the TDS stream - when exporting to excel RRS feed

• Question

• I'm exporting 888 records to excel with all columns selected and get  "Protocol error in the TDS stream" I see there is already a post on this from 2009 but I'm using CRM 2011. Any ideas what's causing this?

This seems to be when I'm selecting all columns - if I use less columns it works fine, so it seems I'm hitting a limitation of my current configuration

I'm looking at Accounts.  -

• Export to Excel
    • Select Dynamics Worksheet
    • Edit Columns (Select All)
    • Export
    • Select "Save and Open" option
    • In Excel  - select Enable Content

• Edited by Phil98765 Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:26 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:35 PM

All replies

• Is your SQL server using standard SQL port? There might be QOS applied in your network. Check also TCP autotuning level setting on the client. In our case changing SQL port to 1433 solved the issue. For some clients (network/switch/router specific) it was also required to disable autotuning level.

More details:

http://mostlymscrm.blogspot.com/2012/09/creating-new-organization-in-dynamics.html

Dawid Kolodziejczyk

Saturday, January 5, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm running into the same problem with CRM 2011 and Excel 2007. In my case both the server and Windows 7 client are on the same virtual host and connected to the same virtual switch, so I doubt network issues are the cause. I am similarly selecting all columns and outputting to a dynamic worksheet, and I have 381 rows - or would if it could be bothered to pull in the data.
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Below is not a solution but a workaround only.

You can try the alternative way of exporting data to excel - usewebqueryforliveexport is the key word.

Please check below post:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5f362855-c7af-4eb3-b1c9-7a0772ca80fc/how-is-the-usewebqueryforliveexport-registry-key-handled-in-crm-2011

It didn't work for me with CRM4 and global usage - we were getting timeout errors when loading data - it is also required to have access to the view that has been used to generate excel, which is not very user friendly.

Dawid Kolodziejczyk

Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:25 PM
  • This now works for me in CRM 2011 Rollup 13 - (possibly also rollup 12)
    • Edited by Phil98765 Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:22 PM edit
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:21 PM