Milestone Payments RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using Project 2013 and I am looking for a way to calculate the total cost for each Milestone in a project. Currently, I'm exporting the project to Excel and then I manually setup the formulas to sum all related tasks for each Milestone. I'm looking for a more automated method either within MSP or in Excel.

Does anyone have a solution that they could share? Thank you.

Regards,
    Chris

Monday, May 4, 2015 5:04 PM

Answers

• Chris,

There are several methods for this including VBA, here is a quick summary of a possible solution.

1) In project 2013, create a custom field called "Milestone Payment". Attach it to a lookup table, where you can maintain a relevant classification for the Milestone Payment Type (like date or number of payment)

2) Insert this field into the view you are using, and tag the relevant tasks that you want to add up to the Milestone. Include the actual Milestone itself.

3) Now Insert the "Cost" field.

4) Group the view on the field Milestone Payment

Now, if you look at the cost field for the group, it should give you the total cost at each milestone. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Monday, May 4, 2015 6:24 PM

All replies

• Chris,

There are several methods for this including VBA, here is a quick summary of a possible solution.

1) In project 2013, create a custom field called "Milestone Payment". Attach it to a lookup table, where you can maintain a relevant classification for the Milestone Payment Type (like date or number of payment)

2) Insert this field into the view you are using, and tag the relevant tasks that you want to add up to the Milestone. Include the actual Milestone itself.

3) Now Insert the "Cost" field.

4) Group the view on the field Milestone Payment

Now, if you look at the cost field for the group, it should give you the total cost at each milestone. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Monday, May 4, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Thank you for the response Prasanna. I've tried to set up the Custom Field as you outlined but I'm not clear on all of the steps needed to complete this. Could you provide more detail please?

Regards,
    Chris

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:21 PM
  • I believe that I figured it out. I selected Number1 Custom Field and renamed it Milestone Payments and selected Task radio button. I then setup a Lookup Table and then added the field to my Gantt view. I went through the plan and assigned a value from the Lookup Table for each task. Finally, I created a Custom View that grouped on the Custom Field and when I select that view I see the total cost for each Milestone Payment.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond Prasanna. Take care.

Regards,
    Chris

Monday, May 4, 2015 9:39 PM
  • Sorry, I was unavailable to answer your questions, but I am glad you figured it out.

Cheers,

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:04 PM