AD and OCS RRS feed

• Question

• Does OCS 2007 make any chanages to AD like expanding the schema or any other kind of tatto's to it?

I want to setup a demo of OCS for the CIO however I can't do it in our production environment if it touches AD in anyway. I am new to the product, but I see great potential for it.

Also does anyone have any reccommendations on VOIP PC Phones and Webcams for the product?

Thanks

JB

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:31 AM

All replies

• The OCS 2007 installation applies changes to the Schema, Forest, and Domain; I defintely suggest using a test environment if demoing the product.

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:49 AM
  • You are correct that changes to AD are required to deploy OCS. Many of my clients have the same concern that you do. The approach I would recommend is to deploy a separate AD forest, with OCS services contained in it. Then you can simply setup a forwarder on your production DNS to point to your OCS Forest/Servers. In this configuration your CIO could load communicator on his/her desktop and then try out almost all of the OCS services. This environment could even be virtualized, thus cutting down on costs. Of course performance is a consideration in this environment, However, functionality works well.

As for the devices, I would strongly recommend you utilize the OCS recommended hardware. The end point device is key to the experience and customers who have skimped on these devices have not been happy.

Keith Lynch | intellinet | director, core infrastructure 

two concourse parkway | atlanta, ga 30328 | 404.442.8000 main | 404.442.8001 fax

Sunday, January 20, 2008 10:08 PM