Invalid product key half way thru WHS install?? Microsoft says it is a hardware issue.. RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks in advance for all replies and help, I am a newbie with system builds, so please forgive me if the lingo is not correct. 
    I have just purchased a HP ML110 for my home, (specs; 3gb ram 2 500GB SATA drives for storage, 160GB drive for os and applications)  I have WHS that I would like to run on the server.  Half way thru the install it tells me that I have a 'invalid product key'  after speaking with Microsoft they varified that the license and product key are valid, she also informed me that it was most likely a hardware compatiability issue.  Additionally, with the HP start up disk, there is no option for WHS for the server deployment.  After several attempts at getting WHS installed correctly, I gave up and Installed a copy of Windows Server 2003 R2 with no issues at all.  It installed and runs perfectly!  My original thought was that WHS was built off the Windows Server 03 platform, I was assuming that that may help to install Windows server, and then try to install WHS.  NO GO :(  Does any one have any suggestions on a fix to get WHS installed on a new HP ml 110.  Thanks again for any suggestions, as I am lost at this point, but having some fun.. :) 
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:38 PM

Answers

• Problem Solved!!  :)  Installed WHS with out the product key, I will have to give Microsoft a call and activate the license over the phone.  Now the fun begins with transfering all the data.. ;)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:13 PM