none
What happens when you... RRS feed

• Question

• hook up one of your storage drives to a non-Home Server PC?  I have a failing/failed drive i would like to get my non-duplicated files from if i can get it to stop clicking long enough to do so, will it reformat the drive or even see the files?
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:06 PM

Answers

• hook up one of your storage drives to a non-Home Server PC?  I have a failing/failed drive i would like to get my non-duplicated files from if i can get it to stop clicking long enough to do so, will it reformat the drive or even see the files?

Hi,

You may be able to recover the data off the drive by placing the drive in the freezer for a few hours. I make no guarantees, though. Olaf has written an FAQ regarding recovering data after a server failure. This isn't a server failure but it does tell you how to get your data off the drive.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:45 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:36 PM

All replies

Hi,

You may be able to recover the data off the drive by placing the drive in the freezer for a few hours. I make no guarantees, though. Olaf has written an FAQ regarding recovering data after a server failure. This isn't a server failure but it does tell you how to get your data off the drive.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:45 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:36 PM
  • that's what i needed thanks
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:45 PM