win7 ultimate retail pack RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've bought & installed a win7 ultimate retail pack & just activate through internet. But, if my laptop lost or took by someone, then how can I block that OS & start to use in a new system? waht the microsoft basic policy with retail pack?

coz my target was if existing PC damaged, then I've to change to another, which is not possible with OEM suite.

~r

Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:57 AM

Answers

• "akaki_russell" wrote in message news:82d8757d-2aed-4a2c-90cf-c4673eeca5f9...

Hi,

Thankx for reply. Sorry but I cant make clear. I've activated my OS through net directly (NOT by phone) & it's showing me that it's activated in PC properties. But, how microsoft will identify me that that I am the owner of that OS? I mean is there any kind of ID that I can preserve so that if my PC hijaked & using by hijacker, then I can block that OS after calling microsoft & I can install/activate another PC after calling them?

~r

The Key is the defining factor - each is unique, and once MS has accepted your new installation, it will eventually block the old one.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 18, 2011 10:57 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 10:20 AM

All replies

• "akaki_russell" wrote in message news:a041e968-b91e-4033-afb7-3ca882cf4f4a...

Hi,

I've bought & installed a win7 ultimate retail pack & just activate through internet. But, if my laptop lost or took by someone, then how can I block that OS & start to use in a new system? waht the microsoft basic policy with retail pack?

coz my target was if existing PC damaged, then I've to change to another, which is not possible with OEM suite.

~r

Activating a Retail Key on a new computer requires telephone activation - and de-activates the old installation (eventually, if it's connected and updated)

--

Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:23 PM
  • Hi,

Thankx for reply. Sorry but I cant make clear. I've activated my OS through net directly (NOT by phone) & it's showing me that it's activated in PC properties. But, how microsoft will identify me that that I am the owner of that OS? I mean is there any kind of ID that I can preserve so that if my PC hijaked & using by hijacker, then I can block that OS after calling microsoft & I can install/activate another PC after calling them?

~r

Friday, February 18, 2011 7:03 AM
  • "akaki_russell" wrote in message news:82d8757d-2aed-4a2c-90cf-c4673eeca5f9...

Hi,

~r

The Key is the defining factor - each is unique, and once MS has accepted your new installation, it will eventually block the old one.

--

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 18, 2011 10:57 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 10:20 AM