CRM 4.0 Import one FIELD into an existing record RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to import data into one field, within an existing account record. 

I want to populate only the website field.

I have matched the account number on the input file, but when it updates website, it creates a whole new record with ONLY website populated.

How do i update the field without creating a whole new record.

Thanks 

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:05 PM

Answers

• It doesn't look like your header row was a copy of the Excel export.  It is very important to go through the steps to use the header row that CRM can recognize.  It looks like you need to create the Advanced Find and include the columns in your csv file.  Export that and use it. 

Also, you will want to use the AccountID not Account Number for the match.  The Account ID is a GUID value.  Using the Dynamic Worksheet function when you Export your Advanced Find, it will pull the Account GUID into the spreadsheet.  Select Unhide in the Excel worksheet and you will see the column containing the Account GUID.  Use this value for the match rather than the Account No.  It will look something like 0000-000000-00000-0000 with letters and characters rather than '0'.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:32 PM

All replies

• How did you import this account? If you use Bulk Import tool, you have to give the accountid.

e.g. in the csv file, you need to give at least two columns:

accountid,website

Then it will do the update.

Jim

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Nope does not work.

I have tried via data migration mgr and the import within crm. 

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:38 PM
  • Create an Advanced find that includes only the two fields in your csv file, Account, web site.  Export the result to excel and copy the column heading from the exported Excel worksheet.  Use this header for your import file and let the CRM Import Tool, automatically create the Data Map.  This should work.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:07 PM
  • DMM won't work because it doesn't do update; but Bulk Import tool should work if you do what we mentioned.

Please paste the csv file here if it's still not work.

Cheers,

Jim

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:12 PM
  • Row Accountno Website Company Full Name
    1 A7042740395$I,1VCLeo www.amerigroupcorp.com AMERIGROUP CORP Leon Root Jr

The Account record looks like this.

account name: AMERIGROUP CORP

account number: A7042740395$I,1VCLeo

email: lroot@amerigroupcorp.com

main phone: (757)490-6900

fax: (757)557-6743

street1: 4425 CORPORATION LN

city: VIRGINIA BEACH

state: VA

zip: 23462

It still creates a new record each time.

Thanks

Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:39 AM
  • It doesn't look like your header row was a copy of the Excel export.  It is very important to go through the steps to use the header row that CRM can recognize.  It looks like you need to create the Advanced Find and include the columns in your csv file.  Export that and use it. 

Also, you will want to use the AccountID not Account Number for the match.  The Account ID is a GUID value.  Using the Dynamic Worksheet function when you Export your Advanced Find, it will pull the Account GUID into the spreadsheet.  Select Unhide in the Excel worksheet and you will see the column containing the Account GUID.  Use this value for the match rather than the Account No.  It will look something like 0000-000000-00000-0000 with letters and characters rather than '0'.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:32 PM
  • I found an interesting article in the help menu. Work with imports, enrich data in existing records.

#8 says - make sure the enrich data by updating records rather than creating new records check box is checked.

I do NOT have this check box !

I have workgroup edition, is this option not available ?

Thanks   

Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:59 PM
  • did you try to import one record after going through the steps I provided?  Did that import fail too?  If so, please post the record and header row from the file.  I don't see the checkbox in my system either.  Thank you

Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:38 PM
  • Account Name Primary Contact Main Phone Web Site   (accountid)
    ASI (813)499-7251 www.staffus.com AABCF08A-4FC5-DD11-A916-0014223BEBAB

Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:52 PM
  • The "out of the box" import tool in CRM 4.0 does not allow updating data fields. It only creates new records. You can, however, import for example contacts that are automatically matched to their parent accounts. To do that, your data file needs to have column names exactly as they are displayed in MS CRM (so the data mapping will be automatic). The instructions in this thread work in such situations.

To update data in MS CRM, it seems you need to install a tool (I haven't tried it yet) called CRM Data Import Tool. There are probably other tools for this task out there also.
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Since this is still not working, I recommend purchasing one of the two options below or using the SDK to develop a custom import.  It will probably be quicker and less expensive if you consider the time already spent here.

Scribe Software
    www.scribesoft.com

EBAX
    http://www.mscrmexcel.com/products.htm

You can also try this free tool but some have experienced problems with using the tool.

http://www.codeplex.com/mscrmbulkdataexport

Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:59 PM

• In addition to Donna's excellent suggestions -

This is a new update tool from Codeplex - (released about a month ago) - It may be helpful to you.

http://mscrmbulkupdatetool.codeplex.com/

Be sure to install .net 3.5 - the installation doesn't prompt you to install it, but the tool won't run without it.
    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:53 AM