Automatic Update does not see any new power packs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have automatic updates on and infact my server just rebooted after an update, but curiously i was looking at the resources tab and can see i'm only on power pack 1.

After a quick google i can see we are now up to power pack 3! I have attempted to force start an update, but it says i have nothing new to update.

I have also searched if i can install it manually, but it seems i can only get it via Windows Update.

So my question is how to i get power pack 2 & 3?

Thanks
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

as followed:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1771.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1771.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1771.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1771.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1771.0
    That's why.  You have the beta verison of Power Pack 1 installed.  You need to uninstall that first (then reboot the server).  Then you'll be able to install the RTM version of PP1, then PP2, then PP3 (make sure you reboot between each PP install).  You need to logon to the server desktop, go to Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show updates is checked), then uninstall the beta version of PP1 (I think the name is something like "PRERELEASE of Power Pack 1" with a KB number that I don't know off the top of my head  :)  ).

Excellent! thank you for that, i will try tonight.
    • Marked as answer by Ockingshay Friday, November 27, 2009 8:08 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have automatic updates on and infact my server just rebooted after an update, but curiously i was looking at the resources tab and can see i'm only on power pack 1.

After a quick google i can see we are now up to power pack 3! I have attempted to force start an update, but it says i have nothing new to update.

I have also searched if i can install it manually, but it seems i can only get it via Windows Update.

So my question is how to i get power pack 2 & 3?

Thanks
    What are the component numbers in your Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

as followed:

Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

as followed:

That's why.  You have the beta verison of Power Pack 1 installed.  You need to uninstall that first (then reboot the server).  Then you'll be able to install the RTM version of PP1, then PP2, then PP3 (make sure you reboot between each PP install).  You need to logon to the server desktop, go to Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show updates is checked), then uninstall the beta version of PP1 (I think the name is something like "PRERELEASE of Power Pack 1" with a KB number that I don't know off the top of my head  :)  ).
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:45 PM
  • FAQ: I can't get Power Pack 2 to download and install
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

as followed:

Excellent! thank you for that, i will try tonight.
    • Marked as answer by Ockingshay Friday, November 27, 2009 8:08 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:06 AM
  • FAQ: I can't get Power Pack 2 to download and install
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thanks Ken,

It was such a long time ago since i've looked at my Desktop i'd forgotten i'd even installed it!

It's been running faultlessly for 2 years (that's gone and ruined it now, hasn't it?!) that i've not needed to even check up on it.

I've been reading up on all of the features i've been missing out on, so really looking forward to this!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:08 AM
  • I am having the same problem, but I am showing the following, and it indicates I have Power pack 1 installed.

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

there is no listing that I can find to remove Powerpack one.... ideas?
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 2:44 AM
  • I am having the same problem, but I am showing the following, and it indicates I have Power pack 1 installed.

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

there is no listing that I can find to remove Powerpack one.... ideas?
    In order to uninstall PP1, you need to logon to the server desktop and uninstall it from there through Add or Remove Programs (and make sure Show updates is checked).  If uninstalling PP1 is not an option there (or it doesn't help), you'll probably have to do a Server Reinstallation.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 2:48 AM
  • I don't see any listing for PP1 in the Add/Remove programs, just pp2 is there and it doesn't allow it to be removed. When you mentioned a server reinstall, you are referring to the Installation type in the dialog box for Server Reinstall? Will my drives still be intact or will I have to start from scratch and reload/modify everything again....

Appreciate it!
    KathyN
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:32 AM
  • I don't see any listing for PP1 in the Add/Remove programs, just pp2 is there and it doesn't allow it to be removed. When you mentioned a server reinstall, you are referring to the Installation type in the dialog box for Server Reinstall?

Yes.

Will my drives still be intact or will I have to start from scratch and reload/modify everything again....

Appreciate it!
    KathyN
    Server Reinstallation formats the OS partition but leaves your data in tact.  Once it's done, all you have to do is re-create your users and re-install any add-ins/apps.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:30 AM
  • Thank you! That did the trick... all the powerpacks installed.
    KathyN
    Friday, January 1, 2010 1:43 AM
  • Hi all,

Somewhat after the fact but I was chasing a problem today and noticed my WHS was stuck at PP2.

End game first:   Look for an install (via console) called PRERELEASE Power Pack 3 and uninstall it, L reboot and Windows Home Server will find Power Pack 3.

Notes:

If you can't find a PRERELEASE then you might want to download RegTweak and use the Uninstall option to get at it that way (this was what i needed to do).

DO NOT uninstall Power Pack 2 unless the console based uninstall says you can.  RegTweak allowed me to force the uninstall (which worked) but WHS was very unhappy with the result.  Recovery was unpleasant and all it did was re-install PP2 anyway. It was only after that I found the PRERELEASE update for PP3.

Anyway, I post this as I expect several people will be starting to updating their current WHS installs in preparation for a future move to WHS 2011.  While there currently appears to be no obvious upgrade path I am confident that should one emerge it will probably first require being at PP3.

Cheers ... Phil Usher

Sunday, March 6, 2011 12:36 AM