Codec for Nikon D7000 RAW 64bit? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Matt, Eric and others,

I used ICE to stich a pano with pictures from my Nikon D7000. ICE did not handle the .NEFs (RAW files), and I guess that's because I don't have a RAW codex for the D7000, 64-bit. Is that correct?

Any chance that this will be part of the Microsoft codec pack soon? Or should I buy the FastPictureViewer codecs?

I am happy with the pano version I did with the JPEGs -- see http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=cf325661-8e5c-432f-81ca-b7c7172e762e  -- but I presume I'll get better quality if I create the pano from the NEFs (yes?).

Thanks,

-- chandra 

Monday, August 8, 2011 6:53 PM

Answers

• I've heard that the RAW codecs will be updated about 3 times per year.  But, I don't have any specific information about when the D7000 codec will be available.  The FastPictureViewer product does work well, so that is probably your best course of action.
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:34 PM

All replies

• why would you want a tool like ICE mess with RAW files? shooting raw means you allow for proper post processing of all parameters, giving you control over them. Just being able to read the files in means they will be processed just like the generic JPEGs you would have created from the same shots in-camera. Only a tool like Adobe Camera Raw or similar software allows you to set white balance and contrast curves and all the other good stuff you can do with RAW files versus in-camera JPEG. If you don't want to do that, why even bother shooting RAW?

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I've heard that the RAW codecs will be updated about 3 times per year.  But, I don't have any specific information about when the D7000 codec will be available.  The FastPictureViewer product does work well, so that is probably your best course of action.
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:34 PM